We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

We are stopping in St John's one day on our cruise in November and are looking for recommendations for a good beach and the best way to get there. Also looking for any other recommendations to do that day.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

I would have thought that someone else would have replied by now. However, my favorite beach (with chair and food options) is on Long Bay in the North East area of ANU. Crystal clear waters, fine white sand and snorkeling opportunities off beach which is protected by an off-shore reef. Devils Bridge is about a 15 minute walk away and great for photos. It takes about 30 minutes or so from the cruise ship dock and about $30 one way by taxi for up to 4 persons.

Cheers,

Edited: 11 October 2010, 01:32
Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

Thanks for the help!

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

turners by taxi if you want a great beach with food/drink and able to rent chairs and sit under a palapas.

4. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 00:50
wallington,surrey
Level Contributor
228 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

I too would recommend Jolly Beach,which is about 20 minutes in a taxi from the cruise port,Not sure if its open but you can also get food and drink from castaways,right on the beach.

We loved it so much when we went for day trip on cruise that we went back for a Holiday and are going again next year.

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

I would recommend Jolly Beach as well its picture perfect and castaways is there for good food and drink and toilet facilities the beach there is simply stunning !!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
76 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

My favourite has always been Half Moon Bay (probably 30min taxi drive). Great surf and very quiet. There have been times when we are the only ones on the beach. If you go, make sure you get a burger or curry for lunch from Harry's. His little restaurant is at the entrance.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

What about Dickenson for a beach stop??

Thank you.

9. Re: Looking for good beaches for cruise stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about St. John's