We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing Week - April 2011

LV, PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing Week - April 2011

Planning a 25th anniversary trip to Antigua in April. I've read that Sailing week will occur during my stay. Can anyone give me any ideas regarding activities of the week? Also, my husband enjoys fishing. Can anyone recommend a trip or captain? It is my first trip to Antigua. I will appreciate any advice.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing Week - April 2011

What you will like/want to do during Sailing Week definitely depends on what level of activity you like.....and maybe on your age!!!!!! I used to just love being in the thick of it; now that I am old and feeble I do avoid certain aspects of it like the plague!

First, a word of advice-----if you are going to rent a car for all or part of your stay do it ASAP.....now, even. Ordinarily in Antigua there are rental cars galore but during Sailing Week they get scarce. Add to it that this year it falls on Easter weekend.

My understanding is that many of the festivities are still in the planning stages. You can keep up with it via www.sailingweek.com.

Since I retired from racing, my fav thing to do has always been to go up to Shirley Heights to watch the start on Sunday morning. This has long been a kind of locals-only scene, wherein parties drive up and do what in the U.S. at a football game would be called "tailgating"------only in this case the picnics are champagne and omelettes. However, I am wondering if this will radically change this year, since this year Sunday morning is the start of the whole Sailing Week series and that may change the dynamic.

Though the racing crews and the boats vary in age all across the board, it is still a party-hearty crowd. Depending on where the parties are held------I've been at dinner at Dickenson Bay when the racing boats are in the bay and the cars parked along the road were backed up for miles----it can be really fun and exciting, or I-can't-even-hear-my-dinner-companion loud. So you really need to choose what you want to do.

ANY place in Falmouth will be full of race-excitement and fun to visit. Depending on where the Race Committee decides to send the racers (which should be decided shortly if it hasn't been already), it will get quiet in Falmouth on any night the racers have been sent to Dickenson or Jolly Harbour.

Unfortunately I haven't been out fishing in a long while. I've heard OK reports of a boat called Obsession, but don't know it well enough to recommend or not recommend, sorry!

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing Week - April 2011

We r going April 12th to April 24th and plan to hire a car for a week in the middle of those dates, will this b a prob. When does sailing week officially start please?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing Week - April 2011

Hit the link below for the official dates.

Not only Sailing Week also Classic Regatta the week before. It get's very busy, If it were me I would seriously think about reserving a car ASAP. Just my HO.

http://www.sailingweek.com/v3/index.php

antiguaclassics.com/10html/event_future.html

Regards

Mark

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing Week - April 2011

So am I better off doing it from this end or getting in touch with car hire in Antigua or should I e-mail coconut beach where I am staying to see if they can do this for me, any advice please?

LV, PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing Week - April 2011

Thank you so much for your advice. I will arrive the day after Easter so I will miss the initial day's events. I was just curious about the event. I'm not one for the louder happenings so it might be better to avoid. I plan to enjoy my first few days relaxing. The later part of the week would be great for exploring my options of the island. I still have time for planning so I'm not rushing into anything yet. Just longing for some sunshine! It's cold and raining...blah!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sailing Week - April 2011

To both Diana and Daytripper: Make that car reservation just as soon as you know your dates. My personal way of doing this is just to use a travel-website like Expedia and go for the lowest rate that works for the size car needed (I own a car in Antigua, but often have to book a mini-van or other car for the kids/grandkids). I prefer the service I've gotten over the years from the American major companies (Hertz, Avis, Thrifty) but other Antigua Experts prefer some of the local guys particularly Tito's.

Beware when booking on-line: Read the fine print. I got royally screwed once by Dollar, whose on-line rate was the lowest but when my daughter got to Antigua to pick up the car she was charged an extra U.S.$10 per day for the "extra driver", i.e. her husband. Obviously in the U.S. or Europe there would not have been this extra fee for a spouse! $10 on a daily rental for $35, for 3 weeks, was a significant amount of money.

Anyway enough about cars, you get the point. Book it now.

Photoman, I'd forgotten about Classic Yacht Regatta. There is a bit of time between the two sailing events this year. The Classic Yacht Regatta is April 14 to 19, and Sailing Week begins the 24th and ends the 29th I believe..

Diana, DEFINITELY get to Falmouth Harbour to look around at the classic yachts! You will never see anything like it all in one place. Huge sailing yachts (one last year was 105 feet) all of which are antiques kept up in the most marvelous fashion.....just beautifully maintained with gleaming brass and polished woodwork.

Edited: 06 November 2010, 03:37
7. Re: Sailing Week - April 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations