We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

North Linolnshire
Level Contributor
177 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Has anyone flown with Virgin to Antigua recently? Was the aircraft one of the newer in the fleet with the new seats in premium economy and the vport entertainment system?

We flew with them last year and were lucky enough to be one of the first few flights allowed once the airports re opened after the volcanic ash cloud restrictions were lifted. However when another passenger comented on the 'tatty' appearence of the interior of the aircraft they were told it usually operated the Orlando route and consequently had been battered slightly by lots of children! The individual handset controls for the entertainment system on the upper deck didnt work and some of the seats didnt move.

On the return the entertainment system didnt work at all and once again we heard people complaining about seats not moving and a couple complaining about rips in their seats.

I guess the important thing is that the airline and aircraft get you there safely but i just wondered if anyone has had a better experience recently, we fly back to Antigua with Virgin Atlantic for our holiday in 8 weeks.

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Sounds about right to me we have also been on tatty looking planes but its not just to Antigua when we went to St Lucia the plane was just about the same, i have had broken tables that i had to balance on my knees, the overhead lights not working so you couldn't read on return journey and the entertainment crashing several times before it broke all together BUT we have allways got there safely which is why i stick to virgin and dont go with BA who i understand have better planes but only 2 engines and if i am spending hours over the ocean i would prefer a 4 engined plane !!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

We flew with Virgin again (for the 6th time to the Caribbean) this January. We were premium economy and I have to say a very tatty cabin, the carpet kept scrunching up under the seat in front everytime I tried to get out of my seat making the task very difficult. There were tears in the seats and one of the loos didn't work. However, once again we arrived safely and on the return journey not only arrived home safely but 45 minutes early which was a real bonus.

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Flew back 29 Dec. Old plane. You should be able to check through seat plan on website.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

We're flying VIrgin in 4 weeks. From recollection, the seat plan looked like the old one.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

And to add insult to injury, I couldn't get premium seats, so having to fly congo for the first time in many, many years. Not looking forward to it at all!

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

oh dear mizgeorge enjoy its is such a pleasant experience NOT !!!!our last flight with virgin all the flight attendants still looked drunk from their 3 day stopover

North Linolnshire
Level Contributor
177 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

We arent able to access the seat plan for our outbound flight as they've cancelled the original one and replaced it with a flight going via Barbados.

Virgin have said the seats which we selected when we booked are now not allocated to us and we have to wait until 48 hours before the flight to be able to access the seating plan. This, when we booked a year in advance of our travel date and have paid extra for premium economy!!

We can access our return seating plan but this doesnt show whether its one of the more recently re fitted aircraft as per my original question.

I agree with the earlier response, we only use Virgin as the BA alternative isnt ideal either. We have had nothing but trouble with Virgin since we booked this holiday, we will not use them again. This was their chance to redeem themselves after making error after error with our booking last year too!

The only thing we felt they did well last time was getting us off on our holiday as soon as the flight restrictions were lifted, even then though their comunication was terrible.

Interestingly we did consider upgrading to 'upper class' however the upgrade cost one way to Antigua is more than we paid to fly Business class all the way to New Zealand! Rip off....?

Malton, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

We have just returned from Antigua with Virgin.Old planes, entertainment system wasn't working on my seat and plane was very tatty. Staff on outbound flight couldn't be bothered and we were like an inconvenience. Not a pleasant experience.

Not much better on the way back as plane old again and on both flights leg room cramped and couLd hardly move once the passenger in front reclined their seat. Had to fly to St Lucia to refuel on homeward journey as Antiguan refuellers went on strike. Sat on plane for extra 3 hours waiting but not even a drink of water offered. Really poor for Virgin

ske
SUSSEX
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

If you can access seat plan for way back - my understanding is that if Premium is on upper deck, this is old plane as on newer ones all Premium is on lower floor.

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

So annoying Virgin are allways swapping their flights about you think you have booked direct flights and then they change them and i hate the stop over in Barbados especially if you have 4 children with you, also if you have to get in touch with them after booking and paying it is a nightmare all the phone operators are foreign and you cannot understand them and visa versa, basically once they have your booking and money they dont care !!!!

Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations