We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

Basingstoke, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

i have looked at numerous weather sites and have read conflicting advice re hurricaine season ie

when exactly is hurriicaine season?

how badly is antigua usually affected?

Weather reports show rain and cloudy every day, is this accurate?

i have seen some good offers for travel at this time which makes antigua an affordable option this year, however i would rather wait and save if not a good time as this would be my first time to carribean and i want to enjoy it entirely.

am aware no one can guarantee weather if i travel at the right time i may be converted from the med to the carribean in future!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

The official Atlantic/Caribbean Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. The most active period for storms is usually from the beginning of September through the end of October (give or take a week or so). June and July are generally very calm months as far as major storms are concerned.

While hurricanes and tropical storms form every season there's no way to predict if any will affect a given island. Over the years Antigua has gotten its share of hurricanes but there have been years when no storms have come anywhere close. You can research the number of major hurricanes/tropical storms that have affected Antigua in the last 160 years by using the "Climatology" link at www.stormcarib.com - click on "Hits & Misses" and scroll down to Antigua. You'll find a chart showing the dates the storms came within range of Antigua. For what it is worth, since 1851 no hurricanes came anywhere close to Antigua in June and there have only been 4 in July. Of course, no one can tell what will happen this coming June or July.

Don't know where you are getting your information about it being cloudy and rainy every day during June or July. This is simply not true. Those months are usually sunny, hot and fairly dry . There may be an occasional brief and widely scatter shower (lasting minutes rather than hours - no unusual for it to sprinkle in one area and there be bright sun 1/4 mile away - typical for the tropics in summer). You can research what actual "daily" weather conditions were on Antigua (or any other destination) for any given period at www.wunderground.com - use the "Travel & Activities" dropdown menu and select "Trip planner", enter the airport code for Antigua (ANU) and your planned dates of travel. You'll be directed to all sorts of charts and weather data giving you actual daily weather during that time period for every day during the last 10 years.

2. Re: june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 May 2011, 23:09
Antigua
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

caribsurfer shared some great info. There is so much misinformation out there about caribbean weather. Looking at a graph of monthly rainfall amounts between 1960 and 2005 you will see that june and july have a fairly small amount of rain compared to the other months, but as the overlay (in red) shows for Jan, Feb and March of 2006, rainfall amounts can vary so much from year to year. Why? Well on average the entire month's rainfall can happen in two days and that month could have been the wettest of the year. Last year during rains we got from a passing tropical storm we had about 10 inches of rain in 24 hours. That was 25% of the average rainfall for the year in one day. Remember that when it rains here... it rains hard and usually doesn't last long. June and July are usually lovely, but could have an hour or two of rain a week.

Also, if you have been following web cams or my twitter or twitpic photos you will see that the weather this week has been amazing. Those animated forecasts have been way way off.

See the graph of monthly rianfall amounts i was speaking about here: antiguamet.com/2006_WX_SUMMARY/…Mar2003.gif

I wish these weather posts would become sticky!

Basingstoke, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

Thank you both so much for your prompt responses, i feel very reassured by your comments and the web sites you recommended. Antigua here i come...

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

Very useful information. Thank you!! :)

6. Re: june/july weather/hurricane season? more info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about St. John's