We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Caribbean

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First timers to Caribbean

After much research we have narrowed it down to Antigua and now need to find where to stay. All inclusive resort or quiet rental cottage? Teenage son wants all inc. luxury, we want to experience real Antigua. I have wittled down to 2 places: Veranda Resort (for teenager) and Yepton Estate Cottages (for us). Any advice on either of these places will be much appreciated. Also who does the best deals on flights?

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to Caribbean

Go on a cruise there...like norweigan jewel you will love it

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to Caribbean

I have stayed at Yepton in past years and know Verandah. Neither all luxury. Both are secluded.

If you have been to the Caribbean I think a rental villa would be very nice. If you have not, the idea of a rental may be rather difficult. I say this because I feel (as a travel agent), first timers do best being nurtured by hotel staff and having a more supervised sort of vacation as you navigate your way a week in the Caribbean.

As far as AI I am not a fan but half board might be nice. I love Blue Waters and it's fairly close to town and the airport and Dickenson Bay where you son might be happy. How old is he?

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to Caribbean

Personally I enjoyed AI as my first trip to Antigua (Verandah) and if I go back would like to go self catering, as that is what I do when I got to Barbados. I feel that AI gives you a taster of the island, but if you do choose the Verandah I would recommend taking a trip or two (the jeep/kayak trip was great and a teenager would liek it as well)

The only thing with teh Verandah is that your teen would need to sleep on the sofa bed in your suite or you'd have to get another room. Depends what you're used to.

london
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to Caribbean

thank you so much for your help!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers to Caribbean

We rented an apartment in Antigua a few months ago. We had our two 16-year-old boys with us. I must say that, although we enjoyed the freedom, space etc. of renting, it was very challenging (and expensive) to keep the boys occupied (we were there for 2 weeks). A resort has more built-in entertainment options for teenagers!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers to Caribbean

I think you might consider settling for something in the middle. Tranquility Bay, for example, would give you the flexibility of self catering, but has full access to the facilities at Jolly Beach Resort, for pools, watersports etc. You can't eat and drink there without buying day passes, but you can take your own drinks with you.

Next door is Jolly Harbour, which has bars, beach, pool, shops etc, and is a pretty safe explore for teens, including in the evening.

The Verandah is comparatively isolated - so you'd be pretty resort-bound unless you have a rental car. I haven't been over to Yepton in a while (probably not since the new owners), but again, you'd have to have a car and there's absolutely nothing useful within walking distance.

The other option might be somewhere like Buccaneer Beach Club - the apartments are lovely, and you're just next door to Dickenson, which is by far the most active beach around.

One thing I would definitely recommend is at least one separate, closed bedroom - nothing worse than a teen wanting to watch TV in the small hours when you're trying to sleep.

I have to say I disagree with Ann - first timers are just as likely to get out there and explore and really enjoy the island and certainly none of those I've met, especially from the UK, have ever needed 'nurturing' by hotel staff to make the most of their time!

7. Re: First timers to Caribbean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 22:51
london
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers to Caribbean

Thank you so much everyone for the great advice. We were seriously thinking about Verandah but now i know its iscolated I will look into the other options you mentioned. My teen will appreciate having lots to do around him which makes for a more relaxing time for us!!!

9. Re: First timers to Caribbean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations