We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Bend, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

We are in are 40's and are arriving for 12 days beginning of March 2012. Has anyone gone on any of the tours and which ones would you recommend (nothing to strenuous) we are staying on the Carribean side (honeymoon premium deluxe) has anyone stayed on that side? Renting a cabana is it worth it? How is the night life? We enjoy the resort shows or sitting in the bar talking with other couples.

Would appreciate any info,

toronto, ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

I've stayed at 2 other Sandals and I can say this, if you dont have a butler suite then go ahead and try the Cabana for a day :) its nice to be waited on hand and foot ;)

As for the tour thats not too strenuous, you can never go wrong with a catamaran tour..

Nightlife is decent but its what you make of it.. Dont expect any raucous nightclubs but there are always plenty of friendly people around the pool bar ready to chat. Its hard not to when 90% of the people there are on their honeymoon/anniversary or getting married at the resort.

Thanks to Sandals, My wife and I made good friends with 3 couples we still talk to and visit to this day and they live thousands of miles away :)

Edited: 18 December 2011, 17:22
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
612 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

We didn't go on any tours. I stayed on the Caribbean side and will be trying the Mediterranian side this April. we stayed in the Oleandor I think. It was refurbished so it was nice.

The nightlife is a bit to be deseired here. There is an English pub so you can escape the heat and if there are people in it, you could meet a few and have a great time. They have some live music outside. Alot of the entertainment is on the Caribbean side (which is why we chose to try the other side b/c if you want an early night, you can hear it in your room). It gets cramped on the Caribbean side in terms watching shows so if you want a seat, go early. I thought they had decent food - better than some other Sandals I have stayed at - alot of variety and now they have a pastry shop like the Whitehouse in Jamaica (which is awesome)!

Wall Township, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

Just visted December 4-11. Had a blast! We met many couples from our first night through the last. We did enjoy the bands on the Caribbean courtyard, we danced, and laughed at some of the 'dance lessons'. Lots of fun, it is what you make it. We are early risers, stayed in Honeymoon Veranda suite, technically Caribbean side, but very close to Mediterranean and could hear all shows going on Med side. It does not go on too late, and was kind of nice. We hired a taxi driver to bring us around. He was great and we got to do what we wanted. He waited while we hiked up and down Lookout Trail at Shirley Heights.

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

fumble, how did you go about hiring a taxi for the to take you around and do you mind saying how much it cost for what period of time?

We go the end of April - can't wait.

Thanks.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

We hired a taxi to tour the island on our first trip there and it was a great way to go sightseeing. The cost was $140 for the 2 of us for about 4-5 hours. This was cheaper than going with a Sandals group and it was better because we got to set our own pace and see only the things we chose to see. I highly recommend it. Bill was our driver and the Sandals staff is very familiar with him if you want to ask for him. We also used him on our 2nd trip and he was great both times.

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

hoppersh so you just asked the Sandals staff to set you up with a taxi? Did you then negotiate the fee or how was that done?

Thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

Our butler arranged the taxi for us, but the concierge or front desk should be able to do it, too. We didn't negotiate the fee since the price named was around what we were planning to spend anyway and way cheaper than the island tour Sandals offered.

Wall Township, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

We used Bill also as our taxi driver. He was great! We just went to the front desk on Caribbean side (not tour desk) and asked about hiring a taxi. The great girl at the desk made the arrangements. We gave hime $160. Bill bought us drinks, waited for us to hike at Shirleys Heights, stopped so we could take pictures, showed us many beaches, and even picked us some fresh herbs and aloe while we we either hiking or at Nelson's Dockyard. There is a great guy on the beach who sells aloe, but we got it fresh from our taxi driver and kept it in the refrigerator of our room. It works amazingly well for burns and bug bites!

9. Re: Sandals Antigua 2012-general questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about St. John's