We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entertainment at Galley Bay

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Entertainment at Galley Bay

I'm looking to book this hotel for May. Does anyone know if there's entertainment put on in the evenings?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entertainment at Galley Bay

It is some evenings for sure.

Regards

Mark

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entertainment at Galley Bay

Most nights you have small groups playing a mix of pop and Caribbean standards. It's all fairly low key in keeping with the general ambience of the resort.

No crab races , no limbo dancers, no karaoke evenings.

Usually it all closes down by 11 pm.

Suits the sort of clients, like us, that return year after year.

You want more you'll have to try somewhere else.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entertainment at Galley Bay

@ XRBC - so you are a repeat customer, we are going for our 1st visit this Sat. Can I ask you - should we be bringing water mocs? Can you think of anything else we should pack that we would not normally think of? Any insider tips??? Thanks.

From everything that I've read the entertainment is nice but not the "party till dawn" stuff. Just the why that we'll like it.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entertainment at Galley Bay

Yup. we know GB rather well.

I was with Royal Bank of Canada in Antigua -and Trinidad- in the 1960's [ hence XRBC] . We used GB and Half Moon Bay as the Ex Pat weekend Beach Party venues.

We have been going back every year since 1999.

Water Mocs.. well, the only pebbly / rocky bits are at the opposite ends of the 3/4 mile beach but you can pad around on them all day if you like. We do

The Hotel used to be called the Galley Bay Surf Club and the surf CAN be difficult. If you are a strong swimmer and can get passed the first 15 yds you should be fine even when it is crashing down. We have always found that more than 6 bad days out of any 14 is about as bad as it gets.In any case the pool is fine with plenty of loungers. Just do not even THINK about sticking towels on them at dawn. NOT the done thing at GB!

The staff are a very large part of the pleasures of GB. Arlene at front Reception, the buggy jockeys like Javed and Richard, Ernestine at Customer Services, Mike and Heather at Sea Grape, Natasha at the Teepee Bar and their teams are almost universally pleasant and sincerely enthused about making your holiday memorable and restful. Rarely will you see any negative comments about them on TA but I saw one from a New Yorker I recognised as being an obnoxious individual who did not accept that slavery had been banned on the island in 1840.

Sea Grape [main restaurant] is fine and the food varies from Good to Terrific

You MUST go to the Gauguin which has a limited menus but the situation is fabulous. Lunch can last from 2 -5pm { we've done it]. Dinner there is incredibly romantic and something you will treasure. NB You have to book for Dinner.

Ismay's costs an extra $35 per person [ NO we have never agreed with it either] but should be tried at least once for the ambience.

GB is all about total Chill Out, you will never be more relaxed as when you [regretfully] leave.

At any time you will find that at least 50% of the guests are repeaters. Usually gregarious and ready to mix when and if you want it. You will find that people will give you space if you want it. No matter how full the hotel may be people seem to disappear during the day so you never feel crowded.

Be ready around 5.30 - 6.30 to park yourself on the chairs along the Board Walk and the Teepee Bar to enjoy the Sunset with you favourite beverage.

Teepee is a regular meeting place and remember all the drinks are Top Shelf imported. 'Tasha, Lisa and the other staff will astound you with their ability to produce almost any cocktail you can think of.

The gardens are terrific with more Humming Birds to the Sq Metre than any where else I know. A walk around the Lagoon can be viewed as the only exercise you need.

Mosquitos ....This is the Tropics so be sensible ..forget perfumes and anything else that might attract the little b*stards. Use proprietary anti bug protection and you will be fine.

Outside?

Tourists love Sunday Sunset at Shirley Heights with Views - Incredible; Steel Bands - Fantastic and BBQ -not so good.

English Harbour Dockyard is honestly very interesting and there are plenty of good Restaurants down there for a nice lunch.

Beaches Literally Hundreds of them. The 3 mile stretch after Jolly Harbour has Darkwood, Ffryes, Turners and a couple I cannot remember the names of which can give you a different perspective. Worth a visit.

Then there is Half Moon Bay . When God made this one he decided this was perfection so he gave up doing beaches.

St John's Go once and then forget it.

One last word of warning; if you are thinking of going out for the day always check with Customer Services to find out how many Cruise ships are in. An extra 6 - 10000 tourists can overwhelm some areas of the Island.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entertainment at Galley Bay

Thank you, it sounds just right

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entertainment at Galley Bay

Wonderful advice - thank you so much!!!! I hope to write a review with photos when I return.

7. Re: Entertainment at Galley Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:34
Get answers to your questions about St. John's