We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Otley
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
money

Really confused about what cash to take.

Staying GPB, please help?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

Eastern Caribbean dollars are local currency - you can get these at M & S etc - we took a small amount. However, almost everything was priced in US$ - even when we bought postcards ! So, we could probably have managed with just US$.

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

US$ is widely accepted in all Caribbean countries. Last year we took a combination of US$ and EC$ as it was our first time in Antigua, but when we return in September we will just be taking US$. Everything in the tourist shops is priced in US$.

When are you staying at GPB? We will be there (again) from Sept 27th for 2 weeks.

Keith

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

The exchange rate is slightly worse if you're buying US$ first, and then having them converted into local currency by the shop or restaurant. If you have $US anyway, then it isn't worth changing them.

You'll receive your change in EC$.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

Long- Mybadvice would be to take US only but be aware that change is guven in Eastern Caribbean dollars.

Remember you have to pay departure tax in a mixture of US and EC but only in cash....I think i it is 28 US or 70 EC per person.

Youbcan pay for meals,trips etc on credit cards if you wish.

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

All the places I bought things in last year gave me change in US$ if I paid in US$. The only time I received EC$ was for the "fractions" of a US$. So if my change was for example US$6.5, I received US$6 in notes and the remaining US$0.5 change was given in EC$. So basically I only got the "shrapnel" in EC$, not all of the change. Not sure if I was just lucky or not.

As for the exchange rate, you lose when you buy either US$ or EC$ in the UK. But you lose again when you pay for things in EC$ because the shops will first convert the US$ price to EC$ with a "not too generous" exchange rate. So basically you will lose either way, but will lose twice if using EC$ :-(

That's what I found anyway. Not sure of other people's experiences.

Keith

yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: money

Hi

I agree with lewskei above. We have just come back and had a nightmare finding EC$ (finally managed to get them at M&S) as this is what we had been recommended to take but when we were there we didn t know why we bothered as everything, even at the market, was priced in US$ and they even struggled to give us change in EC$ as all they had was US$. As lewiskei says they price it in US$ and then convert to EC$, so much better just to go with the US$. If we went again I would go with US$ only

Thanks

emma

7. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:40
Get answers to your questions about St. John's