We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grande pineapple

Essex, uk
Level Contributor
464 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grande pineapple

I will be arriving at grand pineapple next month and just wondered if someone could answer a few questions for me.

I have booked a tropical waterfront room, I know that I should have a fridge in the room but is it stocked with anything? Also is there any where local I could buy wine or beers to stock it with?

What is near to the hotel??

Does anyone know what this room is like?

Any other tips for this hotel would be great as I have never been before, thanks

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
163 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grande pineapple

I just returned from GPB about 5 weeks ago and we had a TWF room. Yes it has a frig, but it is thermoelectric and doesn't get real cold. It is not stocked with anything.

The room is fantastic and the view is great. You cannot however walk out of your room to the water. You are divided from the water by low shrubbery and there is no swimming right there. The rooms are recently renovated, the A/C has a remote and it works great, there is a ceiling fan over the bed. The furniture was not replaced during the renovation and we had some trouble opening the drawers. The TV was kind of marginal, a 25" big old heavy TV from about 2005. Each has a private balcony with sliding doors, all floors are tile. The bathroom is sufficient and the shower is a nice size. They have body soap in pump containers on the wall for your use, and you have the choice of clean towels every day if you want.

There is nothing near the hotel as far as a place to buy beer or wine, at least not in walking distance. They do sell some local wine in the store at the resort. You can walk to Devils Bridge from there, probably a mile and a half, worth the walk if its not too hot. I think that there was some kind of a goat reserve close by too.

I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have, glance at my review of GPB, it may help too.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 22:41
Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
454 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grande pineapple

There are about 10 local vendor huts next to the hotel on the beach selling the usual tourist stuff. There are also a couple of restaurants/bars on the beach. Apart from that, and the Verandah hotel opposite, it's quite remote. You could go into the local village (Willikies) but there isn't a great deal there. As Hotrod says, you could walk to Devils Bridge but take plenty of water and some form of sun shade (hat,cap etc) as it's quite open with very little shade.

For you trips etc. use the beach vendors. They are fully licensed and above board. Use Joseph or Wesley for your trips and Marvin for your taxis. They will be cheaper than the tour desk in the hotel. Shirley Heights is a good night out on a Sunday with live bands playing and a great atmosphere.

You can snorkel straight from the beach. Go to the far end of the beach outside the stone restaurant and just walk in from there. The water isn't more than about 5 feet deep in most places, but gets deeper if you move further out.

Beware of the sun!!! It is a lot more "viscious" than it is in Europe and will fry you if you give it chance.

Apart from that, have a great time.

Keith

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grande pineapple

UK - The previous posters seem to have covered most points.

You can get beer for the fridge - Go to marys Outhouse the BBQ on the GPB site. It would be quite in order for you to carry back a few bottles to put in your fridge alond with soft drinks.

Obviously you need to be mindful to leave plenty of drinks for the users of the Outhouse.

You can also get bottled water at the Outhouse as well. Once used you can fill it up from the bar - oerfectly safe to drink and then keep it in yor fridge.

as Hotrod says the fridges aren't as cold as ours in the UK.

You'll love the place!

Essex, uk
Level Contributor
464 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grande pineapple

Great thanks for the messages. Good idea about getting beers and water from the outhouse. Good to know what condition the rooms are in too. Would it be cheaper to go to the local huts for wine or is the shop on site reasonable? Also I hear they hire cars at the hotel, is it OK to drive around? I am used to going to Jamaica and would never drive over there, they are crazy lol

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grande pineapple

UK - I wouldn't bother buying in wine unless you want a specific wine.

The house white and red were perfectly acceptable when we were there (Nov 2011) - I think they were Chilean - someone will add to this post.

The nearest town is Willilikes and I doubt you would get bespoke wine - it is a small village with a small village store.

The beach huts don't sell wine.

I dare say that if you asked nicely you would be able to get an open bottle to take tou your room - if not just order 4 large glasses.

I personally wouldn't hire acar the roads are quite poor and the island so small it is not worth it.

Just book your taxis from Marvellous Marvin off the beach - reliable,honest and friendly.

Essex, uk
Level Contributor
464 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grande pineapple

Thank you for your reply didn't really want any specific wine in the room but I do like a glass as i'm getting ready to go out at night. Good idea about bringing a few glasses back, might do this when I go back after the day to get ready for night. Don't really want to drive on holiday but thought it would be good to go out and about for one day. Will check out Marin thanks

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grande pineapple

We were advised that local taxi drivers will take you on a tour of the island - so we waited until we arrived, asked around and checked out the rates. The driver asked what/where we wanted to do, see etc. we didnt particularly want beaches or snorkelling (had that at the hotel), def no shopping, but history, views, flora and and fauna. We had an excellent time from about 9 until 3pm and saw a lot of the island with several stops including Bettys Hope, Devils Bridge, English Harbour, Nelsons Dockyard, couple of churches etc. You can compare the cost of a trip like this with cost of a hire car and make your choice. One of the stops was Long Bay and we decided to book for GPB later this year.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 20:13
8. Re: Grande pineapple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about St. John's