We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocating to Antigua

Malta
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
relocating to Antigua

any advice on moving to Antiqua? Would like to find a nice apt for rent also.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocating to Antigua

You do realize that unless you are an Antiguan citizen you just can't show up on the island to take up residency. You will have to first apply for residency status. The process is much the same as when immigrating to any foreign country and usually entails making an investment in real estate or a business that will employ locals and proving you have the financial means to support yoursel while living on the island. It can take anywhere from 3 months to a year to get approval. Having residency does not automatically allow you to work. This will require a work permit which is difficult to obtain. You must possess a unique skill and your potential employer must prove there are no locals qualified to fill that particular positin. Your best bet will be to check with a local immigration attorney who can explain the process and help you navigate the bureaucracy and red tape.

Malta
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: relocating to Antigua

What about living arrangements? Would like to find a 2 bedroom or 3 bdr apt..?Close to shopping and sailing..

London
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: relocating to Antigua

Hi,

I have three villas based on the Jolly Harbour development.

If you are interested then please feel from to drop me a line st sharon@grapeleisure.com

Many thanks

Sharon

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relocating to Antigua

Try the Catamaran Hotel in Falmouth harbour the owner Feona has some apartments nearby that I believe are available for long lets.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relocating to Antigua

I'd love to hear more advice on this! i'm going to be a student next semester at aua college of medicine, and am having a hard time finding things. i'm not too familiar with the area (visited once) but i do know i need to be in the st. john's area, maybe the crosby's?

if anyone can point me in the right direction i'd really appreciate it.

i realize this is "trip"advisor.com, but i've seen good advice on these forums on all topics

TIA!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: relocating to Antigua

Hi

I think you need to post some more information before you can get a reply, caribsurfer is correct about immigration.

What is your budget for accommodation and what area do you want to be in. You message seems as if you have never been to Antigua?

I would never suggest trying to arrange accommodation prior to your arrival, homes are often found here by making local contacts and unless you are looking for a villa are less likely to be advertised. I would suggest that when you are ready to come you book into a hotel for a couple of weeks and then look around and find the area you want.

You will need a return ticket to get into the country, immigration will only give you probably a months stay on arrival. If you want to extend after that you will need to take your return ticket + passport and your reason for staying to the Immigration office and after a long hot wait they will decide if you can stay. As others have said work permits are costly and not easy to obtain.

I hope this helps

7. Re: relocating to Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations