We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe for 2 females driving around?

glasgow
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
safe for 2 females driving around?

Probably a silly question but would we be likely to run into any problems as 2 females driving about?

We are not silly young girls but was just wondering if we were to say pull into a nice quiet stretch of beach to sunbathe would we have any unwanted pushy behaviour from locals. We are looking forward to getting out and about and seeing the local culture but would hate to find ourselves in a sticky situation.

Many thanks

ps. are the petrol/gas stations easy to find or would car come alredy filled?

England
Level Contributor
831 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

I don't think you need to feel nervous about being two females on your own. You might get some attention from vendors on the busier beaches, but i don't think you will suffer any real hassle. On the quieter beaches, you may only see a couple of other people.

There aren't that many petrol stations on the island, and they will be marked on the map that comes with your rental car. It will come full anyway.

You will get so much more out of your holiday by having a car. Just use the same common sense you would at home, and you will be fine. Don't leave valuables on show in an empty car etc. have a great time!

glasgow
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

thanks for the info.

so looking forward to it!!!

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

Car rentals don't always come full! If you are collecting the car at the airport there is a petrol station just a few hundred yards down the road. Actually there are plenty of petrol station and you should have no problem filling up, bearing in mind the island is pretty small and the mileage you are likely to do is fairly low.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

Just out of interest, how much does petrol cost in Antigua.

Dave

Antigua
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

about $16ec or $6USD per gallon

central ny
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

i drove around by myself and no problems. in terms of gas, keep and eye on the gage because the gas stations are few. if exploring could end up out of reach

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

Can you rent scooters, mopeds or motorcycles?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

There are places that rent them, but I for one would very much not recommend it. The roads aren't brilliant, especially with two wheels, and other road users aren't always the most courteous. The combination of bare skin, hot sun and tarmac is a bad one, and there have been some really quite nasty accidents as a result. There's nowhere to store anything for beach stops etc. A rental car really is a better idea.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

Rental cars usually come with little gas. You are free to take it back the same, they don't care. I never fill more it than half. If you had to change the car for any reason, you lose the tankful.

Gas stations are easy to find and all over. Look, it's only 10 miles from one side to the other, how far can you go on a gallon? Signposting and maps are terrible but again, how lost could you be? You twa lassies will be fine, have a braw time.

Please, I beg you, don't rent a two-wheeler. If you rent a four-wheeler, you will quickly find out why.

Remember, you will need an Antigua drivers licence which your rental company will issue on the spot at a cost of USD $20. Good for 90 days.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: safe for 2 females driving around?

What doe sit cost to rent a car and do you do this at the airport?

Get answers to your questions about St. John's