We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Questions......

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Questions......

Must say I appreciate all of the helpful advice and commentary on this forum! My wife and I will be visiting Sandals for the first time in October and have a few questions - namely:

a) Are there computers available in the business centre for use on a paid basis? I want to avoid taking my phone or laptop if at all possible - just need occasional access.

b) Do I understand correctly that "dress shorts" will be acceptable for men in restaurants in the evening now? Think I read that somewhere recently.

c) Is the cabana day rental worthwhile? Looks like a nice treat - also - is it acceptable to tip discreetly the attendant?

d) On the subject of tipping, although everything indicates a "no tipping" policy unless you have a butler (we are in a Mediterranean room - concierge level) - is it a fairly common practice? Don't want to upset the apple-cart but when in Rome.....!!

Thanks for any assistance! We're really looking forward to this trip for some relaxation!

Rob

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Questions......

Charly - Sandals resorts are an acquired taste in my opinion. A big gripe from US and Canadian guests is that get 'nickle and dimed' - and I agree - there ain't nothing for free at Sandals.There is a definire upsell ethos - I don't like that.

Re - The cabanas cost about $50 per half day and $90 for a full day - are they worth it ?- only you can decide. They are free to butler level guests.You can tip butlers but not the other staff.

All the best spots get taken up by the higher fee paying guests - see what I mean about upselling?

Apparrently staff are dismissed if they are caught accepting tips. That said, it does go on.

I had a day pass and whilst I enjoyed the day I wouldn't want to stay there - This is only my opinion though.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for St. John's
Level Contributor
335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Questions......

Ok Rob here is my advice: Unless it is a Butler or Spa staff please please do not tip, I know of staff that did accept a tip and lost their job. It may be discreet but there is always the possibility of someone seeing it whether witnessed by another member of staff or even a guest. It also puts the staff member in an embarrassing situation. They do get other benefits from Sandals instead of tips.

We have had a cabana every time we have been and I have to say it is a lovely treat, no worries about getting a place at the pool, shelter from the heat and occasional rain shower, also breakfast, lunch and drinks brought to you all day long.I would thoroughly recommend it, you just need to decide if it's worth the $99 a day for your needs.

Not sure I have heard of a "Business Centre" in the resort before, there may well be one but it is not something I have ever heard mentioned. There is a couple of little kiosks that people pay to use.

Mostly (unless it has changed) dress shorts are accepted in the restaurants but I would maybe pack one pair of long trousers to be on the safe side. Of course shoes are an issue aswell, trainers would probably be frowned upon of an evening, but boat/smart casual shoes wouldbe fine.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 12:43
London, United...
Destination Expert
for St. John's
Level Contributor
335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Questions......

The information you have been given about cabanas being free for Butler guests is incorrect. This is something that has been mentioned a couple of times on TA but it is definately not the case. Butler guests, like all others have to pay for cabanas.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for St. John's
Level Contributor
335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Questions......

"Rob" - sorry Charly, I don't know where that came from!!!

Edited: 22 August 2013, 13:35
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Questions......

Hello there!

Sandals Grande Antigua does have an internet cafe available for all guests. The price would be 30 mins -$7 USD or an hour -$11 USD and they do have computers there. Also, cabana rentals are $99 a day and many guests seem to enjoy this option but it's entirely up to you. Butlers do indeed reserve them for their guests but I'm unaware of it being free. There is a no tipping policy with the exception being the Butlers and Spa Staff.

I hope this information has helped! Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for St. John's
Level Contributor
335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Questions......

Cabanas are not free I am 100% sure of that, if Butlers are reserving then then it must because their guests have rented them.

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Questions......

When we were there in April, some restaurants allowed dress shorts and others required long pants. I'm pretty sure it was Bayside and Barefoot that allowed shorts.

The cabanas are up to you. We didn't rent one and didn't feel the need. But if it's something you want to do, then go for it! Vacation is the time to treat yourself.

Enjoy! You'll love it there!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Questions......

As Gad stated, please, please, PLEASE, do NOT tip. All employees participate in a program ensuring that each of them receives a portion of what you pay for your stay. They sign an agreement upon hiring and understand what is and what is not allowed. This ensures that every staff person, whether it be a bartender, a gardner, office staff (in other words, folks behind the scenes), all will benefit from the program. Unfortunately there are guests who feel that rules are made to be broken. However, as stated, this puts the staff member in a very awkward position, and if accepted, they can ultimately be fired.

There are other ways to reward a staff person. You should certainly let managers know if you have high praise for a particular staff person. You could also give a small gift, but if you do, please be sure to give a card with the gift stating your name, your room number, what the gift is, and who it is for. In this way the staff person cannot be accused of stealing.

My husband always brings a pair of long pants (Dockers) and deck shoes. He has never been turned away in this outfit. And don't forget the collared shirts as well. Enjoy your stay - we will be returning in January, and can't wait!

Toronto Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Questions......

Thanks to all for your quick and thorough replies! We will certainly respect the policy on tipping - have run into the same thing on all inclusive cruises whereby staff are paid a respectable wage and tipping is not expected. Just wanted to make sure.

As for the cabanas - think we'll give it a shot at least once. It'll be nice to simply relax near the pool - read our books and have everything we'll need right at hand. The "business centre" - obviously a misnomer on my part - just glad to hear there are computers available rather than lug my own for those few moments when I'll need to be in touch for business purposes.

Thanks again for the advice and insight!

Rob

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,915 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Questions......

Regarding the cabanas, and I'm guessing Gad can answer this - I believe you will have a "cabana butler". Not sure on the protocol here if you can/should tip this "cabana butler"? I've seen the discussion before (related to the cabanas in St. Lucia) but am curious as well regarding this. We have never reserved a cabana before.

Gad - Are the cabanas available only for whole-day rentals, or can you take them for half a day also?

Get answers to your questions about St. John's