We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Good morning,

We're coming to GPB on the 26th of December for 1 week and were hoping to head to a more secluded beach (perhaps with some basic services like a small resto/bar/ some shade. I checked the cruise ship schedule and there are anywhere from 2 to 4 per day during that week so we don't want to end-up somewhere super crowded.

Any suggestions? We'd probably take a cab... we're not used to driving on the other side of the road and would not want to risk it either! LOL

Thanks a bunch.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Take a cab to Boxer Shack have lunch there and use the beach facilities below it. It's situated above the beach on the bluff side of Curtain Bluff. Quite lovely.

www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php…

Regards

Mark

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Excellent! Thanks Mark ;)

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

You are most welcome. FYI, they are closed Monday and Tuesday in the week.

Regards

Mark

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Planned it for the Saturday! Looks like our kind of place. Truly appreciate your tip!

Edited: 12 December 2013, 21:12
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Anyone know how much a cab would cost to get there? We are also staying at GPB.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Judging by the map, looks to be approx. 12 km. Mark seems to know the island fairly well so I'll let him confirm that :-)

When will you be at GPB?

Edited: 13 December 2013, 16:39
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

It may be a little further than that. The route the taxi should take you. Out of the hotel along the Pares village main road until you come to the first roundabout. Take the first left and you go all the way along Jonas Road until you hit the traffic lights in All Saints. Go straight through until you get to the pink church on the left in Tyrells sp?. You turn right there and you go through the scenic drive through Fig Tree Drive. Eventually at the end you will see the entrance to Carlisle Bay Hotel on your left. The next bay round then you will see the restaurant Boxer Shack and the bluff side of Curtain Bluff Hotel. Great photo oppertunity when you park up.

You can check it on Google maps.

Regards

Mark.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

I would expect taxi fare to be at least $US25-30 each way, possibly more. It's a longish drive by island standards! You might be able to haggle a bit, but there's never that much leeway.

You may find it better value to have a rental car for the day, and combine with some sightseeing, perhaps English Harbour, on the way.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

We will be there first week of February. Are you planning on doing anymore excursions or trips? I think im going to book the lobster lunch/snorkeling excursion with Creole Tours . Im glad i saw this post since i was looking for other things to do.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secluded beach on a busy cruise ship day

Not too sure yet as to what we will do. We love to hike/ the outdoors/ snorkel so we may end-up renting a car after all and go do/see all of the above. We'd like to go into St-John's as well. Perhaps a catamaran? We'll decide over the week-end. if you want, once we get back the first week of January, i'll let you know how it was :-)

OK, so it is a little farther than what I thoght. Mark, anywhere closer to GPB? Although hubby and I are sold on the Boxer! LOL... hey, is that villa on the property available to view online? Look likes our kinda place!

Yhanks a bunch.

Racquel

Get answers to your questions about St. John's