We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in Antigua

derby
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
walking in Antigua

Is it possible to walk from Coconut beach Club to St Johns?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking in Antigua

It's perfectly possible, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy walking on hot, busy main roads without pavements.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking in Antigua

As much as I love Antigua, I have noticed that the roads are not designed for pedestrian travel. Perhaps if you stick to the smaller villages, or complexes like Jolly Harbour.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking in Antigua

Agree with both. It is possible, but not a good idea due to both length and the fact that much of the route has no sidewalk or properly pedestrian walkways.

If the price is an issue, simply buddy up and share a taxi, and the price will work out great.

derby
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking in Antigua

Thankyou all for your replies. We just like to walk whenever possible but no worries we will use the local taxis

Thanks again

Michelle & Dave

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking in Antigua

If you want a nice (and safe) walk from CBC, take the hike up to Fort Barrington, and then down the other side to Deep Bay. Amazing views, and a lovely beach at the end of it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking in Antigua

How strenuous is the hike up to Fort Barrington?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking in Antigua

If it looks like too much of a hike then you can walk through the grounds of the Grand Royal Antigua hotel to Deep Bay one way and then do the climb.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking in Antigua

It's not strenuous. The only issue is that there are one or two areas where you'll have to stretch in order to reach a solid footing, and likewise when going down. Depending on how physically limber you are, you may have to grab a hold and pull yourself up.

You should be able to walk up part of the hill and judge for yourself though, and if you feel that you can't handle it you can always walk down back to the beautiful beach!

Boston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking in Antigua

How would you describe the port? What is within a 2 to 3 mile walking distance from the cruise ship terminal? Thank you.

maidstone
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking in Antigua

How much is a taxi from coconut beach club to St. John's if there are just two people ? Also I love to walk but I am not very good with heights I.e narrow ledges or large drops ! Should I attempt the walk from CBC to the fort ?I am fine climbing etc . Thank you

Get answers to your questions about St. John's