We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is building work still going on in the sandals resort

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
is building work still going on in the sandals resort

am getting concerned about the building work that is going on

i dont want banging and drilling go on all the through the ceromony i am understanding in the fact that they have to do it sometime

can someone keep me updated

thanx leanne x

alberta
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

landie, glad to hear you had such a great time on your vacation. Which room did you stay in? We are getting married there in February and I fret more than my fiance about the construction, so I am glad to hear that you heard no complaints. We will be in the Honeymoon Oceanview suites, on the side where the construction is taking place, but closer to the beach. In your opinion, do you think there will be construction noise there? Thanks for any help you can be to us!

Michele and Tony

uk
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

Poinsetta block which you are staying in is at the bottom of the development by the beach. We stayed in Frangipani on the other side of the complex, ie, opposite to where you will be. It was a beach front concierge. Not bad for an upgrade from Deluxe. I believe that rooms are closed though on the Anthurium block because of noise.Quite frankly speaking we did not notice the noise until the day we left because we used a courtesey room (very nice too) in the Paton block. The noise was angle grinders cutting roof tiles and that wont go on forever. The rest of the time the workmen seemed to be not doing alot!!!! We walked the entire length of the beach every day and never noticed too much noise. There was noise behind our room towards the end of the holiday from the renovating of the Red Lane Spa. They are also building something in the main driveway to reception by Kimonos (well worth a visit - we went 3 times - brilliant food!- try to get George cook for you - he is wonderful). I am willing to bet money on the fact that the new bit will not be finished by February and even the locals are stating that March completion will be the earliest. Your blocks are by the beach and closer that we were but we preferred the beach at our end as it was away from all the hobie cats, etc and was just a few sunbeds. Also the candlelit dinners are mostly held at this end - closest to the Bayside. It was also the wider part of the beach too. But all of the beach is lovely and the sea so warm and blue. any more you need to know just ask.

Beachwood NJ
Level Contributor
781 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

Hi all, I just read in the Antigua Sun paper that only half of the new rooms will be completed by the end of Feb. and the rest in March. Waiting to hear from my travel agent to see what is going to happen to our Feb 12th reservation. Keep ya posted.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

When the word started spreading that they wouldn't be fully ready in Feb. I noticed (on the Sandals booking site) that they went from having full availability to completely sold out almost over night. I think they knew back then that all rooms wouldn't be ready and probably only booked half of the rooms or less. And it wasn't just the Med. village that was suddenly sold out, but the entire resort (with the exception of one catagory).

So it looks like the race is officially on for them, it'll be interesting to see how far they've gotten by the time we arrive on March 1st! With the addition of 300 more construction workers in January (as reported in the Antiguan Sun) things should progress quickly! I for one can't wait to see it in person!

Beachwood NJ
Level Contributor
781 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

I think you're right. I remember thinking the same thing-how do you go from full availabilty to sold out overnight?

alberta
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

landie, thanks for all the helpful information. Really appreciate it.

Tony and Michele

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

Kat1028,

I think the 300 workers mentioned in the Antigua Sun are for running the ‘Mediterranean Village,’ not construction workers. I suspect the building contractor has all the construction workers available already working on the construction!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

Know a little bit, Well I guess I had a blonde moment on that call with the workers lol!!!! I'm gonna have to go with you on that.

29. Re: is building work still going on in the sandals resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 17:23
Get answers to your questions about St. John's