We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ships

Which English Harbour hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Topic
Cruise ships

Do the large 'block of flats' cruise ships call on Antigua. If so, which days of the week and where do the passenger tourist go?

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ships

Hi, "royeee" .....

I haven't seen the official schedule for early months of 2007 arrivals but one good website to check is: http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn3/

Just insert the dates and use Antigua as the port name. This site should show most of the major cruise lines with the large liners.

Generally, Monday's are slow days and weekends could be slow ... but it only takes one huge ship to be in port for downtown St. Johns to seem packed.

Most tourists will do some shopping in St. Johns and either take a land or water based tour for most of the day or head to a west coast beach. Some will travel all the way out to the beach at Long Bay.

Cheers,

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ships

Firstly I don't know how this accidentially got into the EH forum but quite apt as ships go into harbour. :)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. As I have an intesrest in cruising, this link is new to me and very useful. Having looked at it, I can now see the pattern of ship arrival days. You're probably right that the passengers disperse around the island and that would be due to the nature of the island and no specific attractions such as Dunns River Falls when calling at Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Cheers.

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ships

As it happens, English Harbour, or more specifically, Nelson's dockyard, is one of the places that has most cruise ship visitors.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ships

Its pretty common for cruise ship passengers to pick up a taxi and get the tallented local drivers to take them around the island this would usually include Nelsons Dockyard, Shirley Heights, Devils Bridge,Fig Tree Drive through the rainforest, and a good beach with a beach bar maybe Long bay or Turners Beach. If there are a few of you this makes good economic sense.

I have never seen anywhere except the town crowded even when there are 6 or 7 ships in.

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ships

If there were that many large cruise ships docking there won't be many cabs or even boats to go round! I've looked at the helpful web site that Terry supplied and see there is generally 1, 2 or 3 ships with the odd days of 4 or 5 ships. During my forthcoming stay the busiest 'ship' day is Feb 14th!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ships

Weather in the west indies can be unpredictable even through the winter. I think there were two days last year when seven boats ended up in St John. They were even pictured in the local paper.

As you can see on the schedule four,five and six boats is not uncommon.

We also get some of the clippers into Falmouth and for the Cricket World Cup I beieve some cruise ships may be anchored off shore to provide extra hotel beds!

7. Re: Cruise ships

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about English Harbour