We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Aruba

Bowling Green, OH...
8 posts
Save Topic
Snorkelling in Aruba

ArubaAmy---

My wife and I will be visiting Aruba the second week in April. We are staying at the Bucuti Tara Suites. I want to do some snorkelling.

Where do you recommend, and can I take the bus to any of your suggested locations? If we have a rental car, does that open up other possibilities? And are any of the snorkeling tours worthwhile?

Many thanks.

Jim in Ohio

De Palm Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Bus Transportation, Boat Tours, Submarine Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Seabob Aruba
Scuba & Snorkeling, Water Sports
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

There are quite a few places to snorkel just north of the high rise hotel area:

Malmok

Boca Catalina

Arashi

You can take the bus there but a rental car would probably be easier for the day.

There are also alot of good snorkel tours.

A couple of our favorites are the smaller ones (less people):

Tranquilo www.tranquiloaruba.com/

Octopus www.octopusaruba.com/

If you're looking for more people (larger boat) then you have a few to pick from:

Mi Dushi

Jolly Pirates

Red Sail

DePalm

All are good.

washington DC
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

Hi jsharp928,

My wife is a grad of BGSU, Falcons! We were in Aruba last August and I did some snorkeling at Malmok beach up north of the high rises, and it was excellent visibility and schools of millions of fish. It must have been a good site, as pelicans were sunning themselves on the rocks. Also, no one else was on the little stretch of beach we were located on. It's around the corner from Arashi which is also good for snorkeling and right at the end of the bus line. We had a car, and it seems if you want to snorkel down south you probably would need one. We had lunch at the golf club dining room , Tierra del Sol, only 5 minutes from the beach, and that was excellent

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

I totally agree with timjc...and would recommend Malmok Beach over Baby Beach to snorkel at. But that was my experience...I'm sure others will disagree.

Oh and please rent a car to really enjoy the island.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

LOL the snorkeling at malmok is awful LOL stay away LOL i rented a villa which is supposed to be directly across from the sandy beach at malmok because of direct beach access and supposed great snorkeling right from the beach. from these posts looks like i made a good choice. thanks and don't tell anymore people LOL

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
172 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

Boca Catalina, Malmok and Arashi are all great places to snorkel and all in one stretch. Beat the tour boats in the morning and have fun. If you rent a car, I would recommend Mangel Alto (not sure of spelling) too if you are decent/good swimmers. Baby beach is just okay in my opinion compared to the other spots and if you do a land tour of the island, it will stop by there. Just our preference, but we rent a car and usually do Mangel Alto and Baby Beach one day and then spend the rest of the time at the other spots.

Stinky, New Jersey...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

MaryJo...the villa's across from Malmok Beach looked really nice. I think you made a good choice.

Correction Malmok Beach is horrible to snorkel at...don't go there. hee hee

Good for you MaryJo have a great time!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

thanks for the info wutzy. with google i have been able to pinpoint a couple of things in the area but not the actual villa. of course i've seen pictures of the view and the house but it's always better when someone has actually seen the area in person. leaving memorial day 5/28 and really getting excited.

NJ
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

We stayed at the Bucuti last November and it was FABULOUS. You will have such a wonderful trip! We actually went on a DePalm snorkel tour and it was fun, though I'm not sure we'd do it again.

They took us out to three locations, and it was out far enough in the ocean that it was so windy that it was difficult to swim let alone snorkel. They had a lunch that was pretty bad and open bar, but we didn't really go on the trip just to drink. The majority of the people on the trip were in and out of the water in 5 minutes, so they were a bit impatient if you wanted to stay in the water longer.

The last stop was along the beach just south of the light house (not sure what the beach was named) and it was perfect. Next time we'll save our money and just rent a mask and fins and drive there. It's a public beach with a parking lot right next to it.

Have a great trip!

NJ
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

My husband and I did the Happy Hour Tour from DePalmand we thought it was fun!The catamaran was I believe one of the largest so there was shade seating if you wanted to escape the sun for a while it was such a smooth ride. Now the snokeling was OK, nothing spectacular but I hear they all go to the same reefs. The liqour, well it wasnt top quality but it made do for decent mixed drinks.

Don't bother with Baby Beach, what a huge dissapointment! Snokeling was terrible,fish were limited and the coral was dead but expected since we saw many tourist kicking the coral with thier fins!

Overall, DePalm tours Happy Hour was fun but partly b/c of the awesome crew and the passengers who let loose with the help of some alcohol..but be aware this is an adult tour so there is an open bar and loud music.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling in Aruba

Boca Catalina has good snorkeling. It is the beach around the corner from Arashi. Malmok is south of Boca Catalina.