We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

does someone know some special wine, sauce, spices to Aruba??

my husband and i like to buy such kind of things everywhere we go. is there something special for cooking??? at St Marten i bought a lot of spices and liquours which you could buy only at that island.

and i think about shopping in aruba!!!

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

There are some very good hot sauces made in Aruba. They are called "Hot Delight" . One is in a jar and is papaya. The other is in a bottle and called madame. Both are quite hot but very good. We also look for hot sauces wherever we travel. We found them in the gift shops at hotels but they are probably available at the grocery stores as well.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,182 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

There are a couple of liquors that you can get in Aruba that are not available in the U.S. - Coecoei and Ponche Crema

With a recipe that is centuries old, a local Aruban liquor, “coecoei” was first made by Indian tribes. It has a distinctive red color, derived from one of its prime ingredients—the sap from the “kukwisa” or agave plant, which is mixed with rum and cane sugar. Coecoei is often used today in the creation of island cocktails, including the Aruba Sunset which also employs Ponche Crème, Aruba’s own potent eggnog mixture.

NJ
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

Hey Amy, I bought Ponche Crema back because we loved it so much, but I found it right here in good old Jersey!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,182 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

Hey - that's great that you found it here in the U.S!

I think alot of items are slowing making thetr way to the States. I can now buy Stroopwafels and Douwe Egberts coffee here, too (used to stuff my suitcase full of coffee years ago to get me through to my next Aruba trip - but now I don't have to.)

How about Coecoei? I still haven't seen that one in the U.S. yet.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

I wonder if they'll ever start distributing Balashi here in the US. I'm on the fence.

Part of me would love to pull out a case for a BBQ/pool party in the

summer.

Part of me wants to leave the beer solely in Aruba....just another reason to want to go back. ;-)

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

Marina, why not get some great Dutch chocolate or cheese?

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

We usually put a couple of Amstel Brights in our suitcase! Although... they are bottled in Curacao.

NJ
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

Amy,

I'm not real familiar with Coecoei, I will keep an eye out for it in the states.

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

Amy:

Where can you get Stroopwaffels?

They are soo good!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,182 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: special spices, sauces, liquours from Aruba

We've been able to get Stroopwafels at Trader Joe's and also at one of our local grocery stores. But you can also order them online:

http://www.dcimports.com/stroopwafels.html