We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

From everything I'm reading, I'm wondering if we should rent a car or a 4-wheel drive. They are a lot more money. Can we get everywhere with a car other than the Arikok National Park? Should we have a 4x4 up by the California Lighthouse area also?

Thanks for the help!

NY
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

We are going for our honeymoon in September (first timers!). After doing lots of reading we have rented a car with Hans from Tropic. He said we can go to the Lighthouse with the car. I think others have said Arikok National Park and the Natural Pool are the only place you can't go. We may rent a jeep for 1 day to explore that part of the island or do a tour.

Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

Thanks Future Mrs. B! I was hoping that was the case. I think we'll just rent a car and do a 4-wheel drive for 1 day also. I wonder if I should make a reservation ahead of time for the 1 day 4-wheel drive rental?

NY
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

Welcome! We'll probably wait until we are there to decide.

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
336 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

My two cents...why not just take the 4x4 for the entire time you are there?

It isn't that much more expensive and do you really want the hassle of having 2 vehicles for a day...or worse, turning in one vehicle, getting another, and then turning in that vehicle for another?

FYI, we are renting a Suzuki Jimny (never seen this in the states - it is a small 4x4) for the whole week for $290.00 from Alamo.

This way if , on a whim, we want to get lost in Arikok on a particularly beautiful day...we can! If we want to visit the Natural Pool more than one day...we can!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
172 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

The road to the natural pool is pretty tough even with 4x4, but I would not miss it. If you are going to do a tour, then you will get to see the natural pool and Arikok National Park, which is again something to see but I cannot imagine worth more than one day in Aruba. I think that you will be fine in a car if money is an issue. You can go from the lighthouse to Baby beach in a car without any problems.

Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

Hi RLTF, I was just on Alamo website, and a Jimmy was $465.00 for one week. Where did you find such a good rate?

Oakdale, Connecticut
Level Contributor
419 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

She's going through Hans from Tropic Car Rental... as are we! :)

His website is http://www.tropiccarrent-aruba.com/text.html

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

Something else to think about...

Depending on where you're staying - you may not want/need a car for the entire week at all.

We haven't rented a car yet, and never felt like we were missing out.

While some people prefer to have the car, I find most people feel that renting for a couple of days is plenty.

Enjoy Aruba.

Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm going to look into that right away! We're staying south of town in an apartment away from the tourist area, so we'll definitely want a vehicle for the whole time. We like to explore a lot on our own.

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
336 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much will we need a 4-wheel drive?

Tigerlilie: I never heard of Hans from Tropic Car Rental...but if his rates are as good, that's great!

wilandbarb: I accessed the Alamo website through my bank account's "Member Access" page, which must have automatically given me the discount. Here is a part of my reservation which may be useful to you:

Base Rate - SUV Specialty (USD)

(1) Time & Distance ($266.80/Week) $266.80

Discount Coupon Accepted ($20.00)

Contract I.D. 216676

Inclusive Rate Items

Guaranteed Base Rate Included

Unlimited Kilometers Included

For information on coverage products, ex:Collision Damage Waiver(CDW) click here

Subtotal $246.80

I said the higher rate because I added another driver at an additional $5.00 per day - which I am fighting because my member access site said free additional drivers.

In any case, you may want to try to use the contract ID number above, but beware that they may ask you to prove membership.

If you can get this rate from that Hans guy, go for it!

Good luck

Robin