We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

department stores?

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
325 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
department stores?

Are there any department stores like Target or WalMart?

It is getting ridiculous for me when I think of all things I will bring in my luggage: snorkel gear, floating lounge chairs, beach chairs, soft cooler...CLOTHES

Is there a store where I can purchase these items at a reasonable price? Reasonable enough that I would just leave them behind.

I know I've asked this before, but is there a consignment shop or thrift shop where I could drop them off on the way home?? I can't be the first person to not want to bring all this back home with them - must be a glut of this stuff somewhere on the island!

Thanks!

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
325 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: department stores?

I searched this over Google. I'm not sure where these places are located.

visitaruba.com/attractions/…

Any tips on how to tell?

Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: department stores?

Where are you staying in Aruba that you even feel the need to bring all of those items with you in the first place?

I mean, snorkel gear is rentable. However, I guess if you plan to snorkel every day - it would get pricey. Why are you bringing beach chairs? Can't you just purchase an inexpensive cooler while you're there? The same for the lounge.

Just my personal feelings - but I would never - ever, pack all of these items.

Maybe I missed something?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: department stores?

A collapsible cooler, as well as inflatable lounge chairs, should not take up too much room in your luggage. I, too, am a little confused about the beach chairs. Hotels readily provide those to their guests.

If you are planning to visit other beaches while in Aruba, a large beach towel should serve you well. Also, you can bring your inflatable lounges to the beach and just put your towel over it. If you absolutely have to have portable beach chairs, I imagine you could purchase those at one of the large grocery stores on the island. Hotel gift shoppes may carry them, but they would probably be very expensive.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: department stores?

I always pack a collapsible cooler - fits in the outer pocket of my luggage and doesn't take up any space at all.

A few years ago, we used to take a larger collapsible cooler - we would use it as our carry-on bag and then as our cooler once in Aruba.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: department stores?

Okay...I know a lot of people bring coolers and that they don't take up a tremendous amount of room - but....that's just one item on a pretty long list.

I have enough time stuffing my clothes, etc., in to my suitcase. I just couldn't even deal with all of those other items. I'd have to get them when I arrived, if at all.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: department stores?

Okay, here's the list from above:

snorkel gear - I know alot of people like to bring their own

floating lounge chairs - I would never even think to bring these - too much of a hassle and I don't think I've ever seen anyone use these while in Aruba. I know where I stay (Amsterdam Manor) they have regular floats for the beach that guests can use for free. I think most resorts have the regular ones and usually charge about $5/day to rent them

beach chairs - all resorts have these for their guests

soft cooler - easy to pack

clothes - yep, you're gonna need those! LOL! But you really don't need as much as you think when you spend the majority of your day in a swimsuit (definitely bring at least 3 swimsuits though - they tend to take awhile to dry out in Aruba.)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: department stores?

I guess from my perspective, it would depend on how often I was planning to use the float. The vendors in front of the Ocean Club charge a $5 rental fee per day, per float. Assuming that my husband and I were each going to use one every day, we'd be looking at $140 (for two weeks). For $20, I can purchase two inflatable floats at Target and just have them blown up at the resort. Hey, $120 is 10-12 tropical drinks - LOL!

I do agree w/Amy about the clothes; three trips and I have still not learned my lesson. I always end up packing more than needed. Especially since we do spend most of our time at the beach and pool.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
928 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: department stores?

I buy the inflatable rafts at walmart/cvs etc - the $3 ones. They are flat and lay in the bottom of my suitcase. When we leave we leave them at the hotel if someone wants them - if not I deflate them and throw them away. I don't recall the Manchebo having floats but I also didnt use mine when we were there - they came home with me still in their packages.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: department stores?

I remember $5.00/day, too. We rented probably two/three times during the week. And we'd only rent one. Joe would be drifting around, get nice and relaxed and I'd go knock him off and take it from him. LOL!!!

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
325 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: department stores?

My list and reasons...since I seem to have to explain myself to a certain someone every time I post:

I want these items because we are renting a 4x4 for the week and would like to explore many parts of the island (including many beaches)

snorkel gear - We like to snorkel and $15 per day per person is too pricey

floating lounge chair - would be a nice way to relax at all of those beaches - I like the cheapo $3 Wal-mart suggestion! Thanks!

beach chairs - would be handly at all beaches and parks and anywhere else we may choose to relax

soft cooler - to keep our drinks and lunch cool at those remote places

I would like to keep these items in the vehicle for use whenever we feel like using them.

This is a lot to bring to and from the island so... I wanted to know if there was a store that might sell these at reasonable prices.

Once again, I'm not really looking for opinions on what I should or should not bring - just suggestions on where I may be able to purchase them instead of bringing them.

Thanks to all who provided me with good info!