We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon Wireless in Aruba

New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon Wireless in Aruba

I know this has been covered before, but I am looking to get a concrete answer.

Some say Verizon Wireless will not work in Aruba. Others say it will work as long as you have international calling activated on your account.

Can anyone let me know for sure. I would be especially interested in hearing from people who have had success using Verizon in Aruba. Please let me know what you have to do to get it to work. Not sure if it matters, but I have a Razr V3m phone .

Thanks

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,356 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

I can't help you with Verizon (I use T-Mobile) but I can tell you that the type of phone you use DOES matter for international use.

Your cell phone must be a GSM tri-band phone. I don't know if the one you have is or not since I'm not familiar with it.

I would call Verizon and ask them about their international service and also ask them about your phone as well.

New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

Thanks for the quick reply.

Verizon does not use GSM they are CDMA.

There website says it is available, but the customer service rep was not 100% sure.

Some people say it works, I was just hoping they can tell me what exactly they did to get it going,.

Thanks for the help

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
483 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

FJUN078 - I think I can help you. I returned from Aruba this past May 11th and have Verizon Wireless. I also read info here from the message boards. Prior to leaving I called Verizon Wireless and made sure I had International calling activated on my account. Once that was done I did *228 to update option 2 for International updates. Painless.

Once landed in Aruba I turned on my phone, and at first "searching for service came up" then it went right into ROAM mode. Called home just fine.

Now keep in mind that the Verizon rep said it would only work in Oranjestad which is downtown. Off to the low rise section we go . . . Bucuti to be exact. I still managed to get ROAM mode there upon arrival. However at one point it went back into searching for service and I guess it was in that mode so long that it drained the battery.

I never tested it around the High rise area as it was not picking up that ROAM signal so much at the Low Rise area, I just did not think it was worth it.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

I just had my verizon phone activated for international dialing/calling.

Verizon told me that my phone will work for Aruba and the Caribbean but not for Europe since i don't have a global phone.

FJUNO78 when are you leaving for Aruba? We leave Monday so I could let you know once we get there.

Gray
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

Can anyone tell which is the best cell phone service for Aruba to USA. Is there a coverage problem?

New York
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

leaving June 2nd.., cant wait...

i hope i can get this working. I dont plan on making many calls, but in the event of an emergency, i would like to be able to receive a phone call.

please let me know how you make out

thanks

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,356 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

Best cell phone provider for use in Aruba: Cingular or T-Mobile.

I did my research on cell phone providers a few years ago when purchasing a new phone. These two, at that time, were the only ones who had both coverage in Aruba and Europe. Been using T-Mobile in Aruba since then and always have good, clear phone calls (cost is $1.49/minute though for both incoming and outgoing calls while I'm in Aruba.)

NJ
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

Just a side note, when using, Cingular, the new AT&T. Text messaging is .40 incoming & .50 outgoing. Sounds like a commercial doesn't it!

Manchester, NH
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

I just got back from Aruba and was able to call home several times using my Verizon Wireless phone. No problem at all and the reception was great. I stayed at the Marriott in the high rise area.

Gray
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

Thanks ArubaAmy as we have the cells that will work for us there.