We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkeling?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Snorkeling?

Any recommendations (or warnings) about snorkeling in Aruba? My family is going next week and we love to snorkel! However, the equipment is also bulky, so if it's not worth packing... For comparison sake we've snorkeled in Hawaii, Grand Cayman, Bermuda, Bahamas and Cancun

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Snorkeling?

IMHO, if you LOVE to snorkel you will find stuff to see. Otherwise, there is much better snorkeling elsewhere in the Caribbean. Water is not nearly as crystal clear as the Bahamas.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Snorkeling?

Boca Catalina to me is really good. Also Baby Beach if the water is clear that day. In the deeper water at Baby Beach by the break to open sea is pretty good snorkeling. There are also several snorkel cruises that are pretty good. We usually just go on our own but we did do 2 snorkel cruises on our last trip.

Mentioned in this post
Boca Catalina
Boca Catalina
722 Reviews
Aruba
Baby Beach
Baby Beach
3,980 Reviews
Aruba
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Snorkeling?

Cammiedog - which snorkel cruises did you do and what did you like/dislike about each? I really want to do one, but I have a problem with boats and rough water. I'm hoping there's a tour that's decent but doesn't go way out where the water tends to be rougher.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Snorkeling?

Dana-

We went on Tranquilo with Capt. Anthony and The Octopus with Capt. Jethro. We liked both but the Tranquilo goes pretty far out. The snorkeling is in shallow water and then he takes the better swimmers out in a dinghy to the whitecaps for a drift snorkel in deeper water, which was amazing.

The Octopus was fun as well. It went right to where we snorkeled at Boca Catalina every day. That is an afternoon cruise, which might be better suited to your needs. The Tranquilo lunch cruise is an all day thing, It takes about 2 hours to get to Spanish Lagoon to snorkel for a total of an hour maybe. The drift snorkel is only about 25-30 minutes. I wish that had been longer. They are both fun in different ways.

Mentioned in this post
Boca Catalina
Boca Catalina
722 Reviews
Aruba
washington DC
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Snorkeling?

I found the number of fish in Aruba considerably more than I saw Poipu, the Bahamas, and Mexico. There were clouds of schools of fish at Malmok which is at the north end of the island. about 20 minutes from the low rise area. There were so many fish that the pelicans would sun themselves between meals.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Snorkeling?

Since you can snorkel from shore at Boca Catalina, I wonder if it's worth it to pay for the cruise? Can you get to the same areas from shore that the boats go to? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Mentioned in this post
Boca Catalina
Boca Catalina
722 Reviews
Aruba
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Snorkeling?

I thought the snorkeling at baby beach was great. I don't have anything to compare it to, but there were hundreds of fish there, and so many varieties.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Snorkeling?

I went snorkeling for the FIRST time last year. We took the De Palm tour that goes to the Antilla wreck as one of the stops. It had lunch and free drinks included. As a first time snorkeler, I really enjoyed it! As for seeing a lot of fish, I thought we saw a ton, or enough to satisfy me!

Mentioned in this post
De Palm Tours
De Palm Tours
11,454 Reviews
Aruba
The Antilla
The Antilla
667 Reviews
Aruba
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Snorkeling?

Let me give you a bit of advice on snorkeling.

Take your car and head north (towards lighthouse) @ about 11 a.m.

On the oceanside you will see a ship wreck sticking out of the ocean and a few boats just a bit north of there. This is where the snorkeling boats do some shore diving and you can see the same things they are for free. The fish are abundant and it is very easy to get to.

Once you have swam there for a while get back into your car and head north some more to Malmok beach. You will see a bright orange house being built right on the ocean. Once you pass this house you will see a few palapas and will be at Malmok Beach. This place is so amazing you won't regret it. Tons of fish and coral and all for the low price of gas only.

We had a ball and spent all day just stopping in and out of beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Malmok Beach
Malmok Beach
687 Reviews
Aruba
hudson valley ny
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Snorkeling?

would there be any way to get to these placesw/out a car? is renating a car in aruba expensive? Your post made me want to rethink my snorkel excursion plan.....