We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Des Moines Iowa
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Amy, please check in and tell us you're okay. Everyone in the Twin Cities area will be in my thoughts!!!!

I live in DSM and travel to MPLS very often....that bridge span is literally 3 miles from our office up there (all of our staff is accounted for). I absolutely can't believe it.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Gosh...she is leaving today for the Netherlands. I wonder if she'll have problems getting to the airport? I do hope she has a minute to check in with us before she leaves just to let us know she's okay.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

She's okay.

I heard from her last night and she, her family, and her friends were all okay.

Understandably, a bit shaken up....but okay.

Owings Mills...
Level Contributor
871 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

I second what shamrock said. I spoke w/ her and she was in shock but her and her family are safe. She didn't mention not being able to take her trip so I assume that they were able to leave. My prayers are w/ the people of Minnepolis.

Des Moines Iowa
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Thank you all for chiming in! I am so relieved to know she talked with folks who could respond to the post!!! The airport is near that section of the highway, but there are many routes to get there. I bet it was a sight to see once they were in the air, though.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Been receiving alot of emails, phone calls.....just want to let everyone know that we're okay and we've accounted for most of our family and friends.

It is so, so awful here! We only live about 6 miles from the bridge. Thank God we were both home when it happened and we normally don't use that bridge on our way home from work.......but we do use that bridge all the time. Just cannot believe it.....

Just unbelieveable.....so unbelieveable....my heart goes out to everyone who was on that bridge! It happened at rush hour and also during Twins game traffic. Luckily, what is normally an 8 lane bridge was only 4 lanes at this time due to construction....but the bridge was bumper to bumper when it went down...................

Will be no problem getting to the airport (our flight is at 7pm tonight) - we live 5 miles south of downtown and the airport is another 8 miles or so south of us. The bridge is just to the north of downtown so we don't need to go anyway near it tonight. But I feel like I'm abandoning my city......

Thank you to everyone for thinking of us!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Hi aruba amy

here in london uk this is all over the news!!! my thoughts are with everone over there

xxxx

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Thanks, Tinkerbell!!!

We even got a call last night from our friend in the Netherlands who we'll be visiting in a couple of days - sounds like it is all over the news.

Just can't believe a bridge of a major freeway of this size could collapse in this day and age.......doesn't seem possible!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

We're glad you're okay, Amy.

Now - GO FINISH PACKING! ;-)

Des Moines Iowa
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

Amy, I agree - We are so happy to hear that you and yours are all okay. Now, GO PACK!!!! :)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ARUBA-AMY are you okay?!?!

As soon as I leave work at noon.....I'm PACKING!! :)