We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aruba question urgent??????

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Topic
aruba question urgent??????

hi there i heard there were problems with drugs in aruba is this true???

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,189 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aruba question urgent??????

Not that I've ever seen - and I've been going to the island for over 10 years.

Riverdale, New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: aruba question urgent??????

Been there for 10 years and NEVER saw a problem in the high rise area. I guess maybe in town or the other end of the island. there are drugs any where you go.

Denver
Level Contributor
303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aruba question urgent??????

We didn't notice a problem. Definitely not like Jamaica or Mexico where they just come up to you and ask if you need any. There was a party one night at Moombas and you could tell who the dealers were and could smell pot when walking by. Also when walking from Surf Club to strip - through the HI parking near Curacao bldg - there were kids there smoking pot. We walked there every night and only experienced it once (the night Moomba had the party).

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aruba question urgent??????

No problems that I experienced.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: aruba question urgent??????

There are drugs on Aruba, but we have been going there for over 12 years and have never had a problem. Not like Jamaica where they are in your face. Any drugs on Aruba are very discreet I think.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: aruba question urgent??????

As with anywhere there are tourists interested in drugs, drugs will be supplied. We have been going since 1999 and never have been approached or even seen a drug deal.

But, I would suggest kids staying away from the Carlos and Charlie outside area at night time.

Boston
Level Contributor
200 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: aruba question urgent??????

Like others have said, I have never seen any drug issues in Aruba. We were in Jamaica in March, and there were plenty of people trying to sell us drugs. I think anywhere you go there will be drugs, but also if you stay in the tourist areas you should never have a problem either.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
685 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: aruba question urgent??????

I guess I must look like rev jim from the show taxi

because I get asked all the time

the first couple of times I went to aruba I only got asked if I wanted anything late at night in town mostly in front of carlos and charlies

but last time I was in aruba I got approached on the beach fairly often not as often as jamacia barbados or cancun but often enough that I saw a change in aruba in the last few years

I have also noticed an increase in prostitutes in aruba as well

The Villages...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: aruba question urgent??????

Usually the prostitutes are keep in one area - St Nicholas, and regulated by the gov, something like in Holland.

Unfortunately, I believe the increased prostitutes has to do with supply and demand. I do hope the gov gets a better handle on drugs though if it is becoming more prevalent.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: aruba question urgent??????

Question - aren't drugs everywhere?

Define "problem", please.

Define "prevalent", please.

(I do hope the government gets a handle on them here in the US, too.)

Is no one else confused by this topic?