We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

New Jersey
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

My family of 4 (2 boys ages 16 & 17) will be going to Aruba in March over the Easter Holiday. We will be staying at the Hyatt. This is our first time there, so I am looking for your advise on places, siteseeing, resturants etc that we should not miss out on. I have gone to many sites for ideas and by reading some of them, some things don't seem worth doing, but maybe they really are. I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

Riverdale, New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

Angelwings25 - If snorkeling is something you would like to do , I suggest the Octopus - outside the Holiday Inn -2 hotels up from the Hyatt .Jethro the owner is great. We love the trip & food is included. Look for a coupon in the package you usually get at the airport as you arrive. Horseback riding is a good bet too. Take a tour of the island, it's not your usual lush green expectation of the caribbean. It's worth seeing.

Restaurants - Gasparitos is wonderful - Madame Janettes - and the Lighthose also. I hope this helps.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
31 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

We rent a car--just buy their insurance for no problems at return. You can drive to the lighthouse for a great view, to the little church, to the other beaches, and around town.

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
430 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

Another great snorkel trip is on the Tranquilo, small group with a drift snorkel included with Captain Anthony. Your boys might like to try some windsurfing down at the fisherman's shacks, looks like lots of fun. Also you might consider a day of deep-sea fishing, lots of fun for the whole family.

I suggest you rent a car and tour the whole island, try getting a car from Hans, at Tropic, first rate service. Also lots of great resturants on the island, so get out and enjoy.

You can rent ATV's for a tour, fun, but hot and dusty, boys would love.

Also you might do a Resort Course Dive on a wreck, will give your guys a taste of scuba diving.

Lots to do, lots to see!

Victoria, Texas
Level Contributor
430 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

Another great snorkel trip is on the Tranquilo, small group with a drift snorkel included with Captain Anthony. Your boys might like to try some windsurfing down at the fisherman's shacks, looks like lots of fun. Also you might consider a day of deep-sea fishing, lots of fun for the whole family.

I suggest you rent a car and tour the whole island, try getting a car from Hans, at Tropic, first rate service. Also lots of great resturants on the island, so get out and enjoy.

You can rent ATV's for a tour, fun, but hot and dusty, boys would love.

Also you might do a Resort Course Dive on a wreck, will give your guys a taste of scuba diving.

Lots to do, lots to see!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

We really enjoyed horseback riding (Rancho Ponderosa or Rancho Notorious).

If you're shopping downtown, Iguana Joe's is a great spot for lunch.

I've heard amazing things about the helicopter tour, too.

Happy planning & enjoy.

Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

If you are going to rent a jeep to go to the remote eastern side of the island I recommend checking out the caves. We went the Guadirikiri Cave. It was impressive. You make your way through the stalagtites and stalamites to the first chamber which is bathed in light, as sunlight streams through holes in the roof of the cave. From the first chamber you can walk through another dark tunnel to a second sunstreaked chamber. It is most unusual. I admit I was a bit of a chicken (okay, a huge chicken) when I saw a few "harmless" fruit bats flitting about but I was so glad I went in. We took some great pictures inside the cave of me looking all brave. There are other caves in the area (one with Indian drawings). This is an off-the-beaten track experience.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

I sent you a PM - not sure if you received it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

I got it thank you. I will take a look. Thanks so much for the help.

Karen

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

Like back2cali said, the caves are pretty cool. I've been in 3 of them and they are all unique. There are bats especially in tunnel of love cave. Also snorkeling with Anthony on the Tranquilo or Jethro on the Octopus. They are both good.

Rent a jeep and drive the windward side of the island and see the Bushibirana Gold Ruins, the natural bridge and the natural pool. There's also Arikok National Park. and Boca Prins Dunes and Boca Prins. There is also a little restaurant and snack shop way out there.

One thing we've never done but probably will do on our next trip is the horseback riding.

As far as restaurants- there are many and they are all good. El Gaucho, Texas de Brazil, Madam Janette, Salt & Pepper which is great for people watching. Iguana Joe's downtown is also a great place to people watch.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me.

Denver
Level Contributor
303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for the repeat Aruba travelers.......

There are also a lot of water sports right at the beach - tubing, jet skiing, banana boats. My three daughters and nephew also loved the ATV tour - your boys are old enough to drive themselves. If you do ATV, plan on getting really dirty and dusty - wear glasses and maybe even something around your mouth. Also wear water shoes and bring snorkeling equip for the natural pond stop - it was really nice.