We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Share owner question for you.

maine
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Time Share owner question for you.

Hi: I have been looking at time shares in Aruba and I was wondering on how the Floating week works. Does anyone have this type and if you do, do you get the week that you want and how far in advance do you have to put in for it. So, if we buy a time share is it best to buy a certain week or would a floating week be good too.

I would love to hear if you love having a time share and where.

One other thing I may have a chance to buy a time share for Bar Harbor Maine really cheap don't know the spec yet but the deter factor would be if I can trade for Aruba, etc and what kind of cost to trade.

DM

Maine
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

bump, really want to know these answers

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

we own at Costa Linda...fixed weeks...deeded as well. Can't really give you any info on floating weeks...although I believe some of the Marriott Resorts offer them (and if I'm wrong, my apologies).

Boston...
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

We own a floating week for use May-mid Dec. There is no guarantee on weeks. You can book a year in advance. The earlier you book, the more is available. We booked 8 months in advance this year and there were plenty of choices that interested us. Trading depends on what company you are associated with (RCI, Interval, etc).

maine
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

Thanks for the replys. I have been doing a lot of reading and looking at time shares and am just wondering after looking at so many if it is really worth it. After you pay the maintainence which is from $500 to $1000 you can pretty much rent a time share for pretty much what you pay in maintainence. So I don't know about buying one.

DM

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

We own a week within a "season". Platinum season is more expensive than gold and we usually travel to Aruba in January. I like the idea of not having to vacation the same week each year - only because if you cannot make it that week; however the downside of owning a "floating" week is that you have to be sure to make your reservation way in advance (which we always do).

We use our Marriott Surf Club/Aruba timeshare each year, but trade our Marriott/Orlando through Interval International. Interval does not have any Maine timeshares in Bar Harbor (I was just looking through the II book), so I don't think you'd be able to trade through them, but check with them to make sure. If you're buying to trade, just try to find out which company you can trade through and if there are locations you'd like for vacations.

Before we owned at the Surf Club, we found it difficult to do a trade into Aruba.

I noticed you said you could rent in Aruba for $500 - $1,000 ... that's pretty cheap!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

We purchased a fixed week (wk #9) 5 years ago at the former Aruba Grand (RIU now). We purchased because we had returned to Aruba 5 years in a row and knew we were going to continue to come back forever. In this case, it makes economical sense in the long run vs. paying expensive hotel rates for the week. We pay $550 maintenance fees, which doesn't seem bad to me. Even with all the mess surrounding the RIU's purchase of the Aruba Grand and them shutting down for 2 years, I'm still glad we did it. To me, you can't beat the location of the property and love the 1st floor room location walking right out to the beach.

As far as trading, I've heard that Aruba is the #1 hardest destination to trade into.

Personally, I'd buy in Aruba. Then you're guaranteed your place in paradise every year.

Maine
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

Valerie: I saw those rates in another forum and in Redweek those rates were not for the higher end high rise hotel like the marriot. Looks like a nice place its the one with the lazy river right. I think I may want to stay there if Aruba is a hit for us.

notanman, you are right with your maint fees being cheaper than paying the high prices for hotels. We are going to the Riu in april and cannot wait we are doing the AL and could have bought a resale time share for the price we are paying for the week we that we are going. My main problem with not going on an al vacation is my husband. Everything has to be easy for him. But where we are going he may see that it is easy to walk to a resturant. Big down side is its really conv to just walk up to a bar and get a few drinks.

DM

NYC
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

I would strongly suggest that you join TUG (timeshare users group) and read read read in order to learn about timesharing, deed vs membership, fixed weeks vs floating, what kind of resorts are out there, what's the best way to purchase, etc. There is A LOT to timesharing and it isnt for everyone. Their website is

www.tug2.net

maine
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

ArubaKathy: I will look at that site. I'm not going to do anything until we get back from Aruba. Probably should rent one first as well.

DM

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Time Share owner question for you.

djMaine,

Your going find that there are tons of restaurants within walking distance. I found that the RIU has very good food but it's a lot of fun exploring the island and it's great restaurants. Also, the timeshare allows you to stock the fridge with beer, soda, etc. so drinks are always near. Don't miss the Bugaloe Bar on the Pier right on the RIU beach. Live music Fri., Sun. & Tues.

Have fun!