We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Turtles

Swansea...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sea Turtles

Has anyone ever seen any sea turtles while snorkeling in any places in Aruba? Also, what would be the best place for experienced snorkelers to snorkel from the shore? We have our own equipment and hope to try different areas that could be recommended to us. Thanks.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Turtles

I saw a sea turtle once near Boca Catalina.

A friend of mine who lives in Aruba snorkels a particular area near the Tam almost every morning. He sees turtles there about 70% of the time.

Here's a good site that shows the various places you can snorkel from the shore:

shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Aruba/index.htm

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Turtles

Last June I saw two different types of Sea turtle while snorkeling at Boca Catalina, which IMO is pretty good shore snorkeling. We have our own equipment and that becomes one of our carry ons. I learned a lesson packing a mask a few years ago in checked luggage.

Swansea...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Turtles

Thanks for your suggestion....but what lesson did you learn? We always pack our snorkeling equipment in our suitcase.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Turtles

I learned that airlines are not careful with luggage. My mask was pack between enough soft clothing that it should have been fine. It was destroyed due to the way luggage is handled. We now have a snorkel gear bag and carry it on.

Springfield
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Turtles

Yep, the last trip I check all of my Snorkle gear. My nask was in a hard mask case. looked at my gear when we got there. The mask box was sprung open and my $80.00 mask had a leak. I will now carry on my mask...I dont think they can screw up a snorkle and a pair of fins to much if they are checked in. Good thing I always pack a spare mask.

Ontario
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Turtles

ArubaAmy,

Where does your friend dive at the Tam? We are going there in a week and would love to try the spot you recommend. Also I read your post for the Tam and it sounds like we will love it there. All the snow in Ontario is too much! lol!

Also does anyone know where sea turtles hatch and when?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Turtles

I think (THINK!) it's to the left of the Tam as you're facing the water. Apparently, there's a spot with alot of growth (sea grass, etc.) underwater where they love to hang out. He always goes early in the morning (7am) so not sure if the time of day has anything to do with it.

The turtles usually lay their eggs in the spring (I actually got to see one lay their eggs last year on the beach at the end of April) and they usually hatch during the summer months around July.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,966 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Turtles

Forgot to mention....they lay their eggs on Eagle Beach between Amsterdam Manor and the Bucuti. The one I saw last year laying her eggs was between Amsterdam Manor and LaCabana (and it was at night, too, around 10pm.)

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Turtles

Are those the ones they serve at the Turtles Nest in their signature soup? ;)

Ontario
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Turtles

You SAW a sea turtle laying her eggs??? WOW! I did hear that they lay eggs by the Bucuti. Thanks for confirming. I suppose I'll have to plan a return summer trip if I hope to see any hatching.

I will check out the spot you mentioned to the left of the Tam (past the 2500's I assume?) for snorkelling and see what is there. I'll post results when we get back.

Thanks for the wonderful tips!