We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

USA
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

And why? Thank you all

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

The Tamarijn's beach is much less congested.

If a picture is worth a 1000 words...

I have some photos of the Occidental's beach at www.arubabound.com/photos/htl/occ/occ.htm specifically take a look at www.arubabound.com/photos/htl/occ/occf.jpg

I have photos from our Christmas stay at the Tamarijn at www.arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/tam.htm. Specifically take a look at

arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/2500_building_… and arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/2100_beacha.jpg

USA
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

Great reply, thank you SO much.

BUt Unable to open www.arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/tam.htm

Are rocks on the beach at Tamarijn coould be a problem? We have 5 year old with us.

Million Thanks again

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

Hmmm, just tried it from your post and it worked. Maybe try arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/tamarijn_activ… and use the menu from there.

As to the rock issue. Yes, parts of the beach has rocks. The rocks do get covered by sand as mother nature gives and takes it away. When we were there in December the entire stretch of beach from buildings 1900 - 2500 were nice and sandy.

arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/tamarijn_build…

arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/tamarijn_build…

Where we stayed in building 1300 we walked to the beach in front of building 1100 to enter the water due to the rocks in front of our room. arubabound.com/photos/htl/tam/1200_beach.jpg

Diviaruba, a fellow poster here was there during abnormally high waves a week or so ago and reported that a good deal of sand was washed back up on top of the rocks in front of these buildings. There is some info with a link to photos at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k1848…

USA
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

Waters are very calm at Tam?

USA
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

Stupid of me, your great pictures show calm waters.

Do they do (Tam and Occ) anything to protect from sharks? Thanks agaian and again

Seacoast NH
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

We have always stayed on Palm beach (high rise). Less congestion sounds nice - beach is our main thing. What holds me back is the impression that there is significantly more topless on Eagle beach. No biggie to me - but it tends to make DW uncomfortable. Is this generally accurate? If so, is it specific to certain resorts? Not judging one way or the other - it is what it is and can happen anywhere - but for a relaxing, peaceful time less topless is better for us.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

We stayed at the Tamarijn over Christmas and New Years. The resort was sold out. There were a fair number of Americans at the resort, however there was a good number of Europeans. I fully expected to see toplessness and was extremely surprised that in 13 days we did not see one topless woman. Still puzzled by that one myself???????? The Tamarijn is considered more of a "family" resort, perhaps the Divi is different. I know that there a lot of Europeans who frequent other resorts in the low rise section such as the Amsterdam Manor and Manchebo. Perhaps it is a case of specifically where you choose to stay.

Ontario
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

Antair,

Regarding your question about sharks, you will note in many posts that the only sharks you will find on Aruba are the ones selling timeshares! ;) I did a sub tour and did not see a single fish that was more than a couple feet long. Turtles, yes, tangs and damsels, yes. I had the same kind of question before I went, but there was no worry. I guess our generation is still recovering from "Jaws." Enjoy the beautiful water.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

Typically the giant sea iguanas keep the sharks away from the beaches. Not to worry, other than eating the occassional small child down by Eagle Beach, the iguanas pretty much leave you alone. Unless, of course, you are on a floatie with a Balashi in your hand....they love Balashi!

Ontario
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which beach is better, Tamarijn or Occidental Grand Aruba?

Don't most of those giant omnivorous sea iguanas stay at the Playa Linda?