We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Hi,

Looking forward to our 2 weeks in the sun - most of the reviews are upbeat so I dont think we have made a bad choice.

Questions that maybe some of you who have already been to this hotel will be able to help us with.

Dress code for evening in dining rooms etc.

Is wine included on the a/i tariff for the whole day or just at meal times - this happened to us in the Maldives so we were always first in and last out when the dining hall was open!!!!

We also like gin n tonics - is gin readily available?

We would like our room to be near to where the drinks are served during the day but, we dont want the noise of revellers at night - any idea of which block to request please?

Is it possible to walk far along the beach? We like to stretch our legs early morning and at about 5ish after laying in the sun all day and gaining weight!!!

Is palapa a similar word to the one we use - sun loungers? Pegs are already packed for the towel tie down!

Is the hotel mainly American visitors with a few brits thrown in? Not a problem, just curious.

Currency - which currency for our travellors cheques?

Well, that is it for now but being a woman I am sure I will think of somethingelse as soon as I click off!!!

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Looking forward to our 2 weeks in the sun - most of the reviews are upbeat so I dont think we have made a bad choice.

No I don't think you made a bad choice. We stayed there in December tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147248-d150… and are heading back in June and will be there about the same time as you 12 Jun - 24 Jun.

Dress code for evening in dining rooms etc.

Casual. For dinner in the ala carte restaurants, dh wore a nice pair of cotton twill shorts with a short sleeved button down shirt and sneakers. Some men wore sandals. Dd and I wore sundresses, some women wore capris and dressy shorts, all with sandals.

Is wine included on the a/i tariff for the whole day or just at meal times - this happened to us in the Maldives so we were always first in and last out when the dining hall was open!!!!

The bars are open 11 am to 1 am. Wine is available all day long at all of the bars as well as a WIDE selection of alcohol, beers, frozen drinks and two choices of drinks of the day.

We also like gin n tonics - is gin readily available?

Asbolutely positively.

We would like our room to be near to where the drinks are served during the day but, we dont want the noise of revellers at night - any idea of which block to request please?

No one ever reports problems with noise from revelers at night but the bar closest to buildings would be 1300 and 1400. We stayed in 1300 and never heard a sound. Nightime entertainment winds down around 11 pm at the latest if memory serves me correctly.

Is it possible to walk far along the beach? We like to stretch our legs early morning and at about 5ish after laying in the sun all day and gaining weight!!!

You are able to walk the entire stretch of beach northward from Druif Beach to the end of Eagle Beach approximately 2.8 km (1.7 miles) each way.

Is palapa a similar word to the one we use - sun loungers? Pegs are already packed for the towel tie down!

Yes! One and the same. We use "clothes pins" to hold down our towels, are those your "pegs"? :-)

Is the hotel mainly American visitors with a few brits thrown in? Not a problem, just curious.

At Christmas there were 80% Americans and 20% Europeans, but that did not really include anyone from the UK since First Choice only runs the charter off season.

From everything I have read there will be a good number of Brits at the resort during the time frame you mention. Early June is still early for families from the US. Aruba is extremely popular with folks from the Northeast US and their kids do not finish their school year until mid June. This year 'round about June 12 or so. Here in the southeast US our kids are out of school May 30.

Currency - which currency for our travellors cheques?

Not sure, but the US dollar is accepted EVERYWHERE in Aruba.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Forgot, here is a link showing the building numbers for the resort

www.arubabound.com/accommo/tamarijn_map.jpg

We enjoyed staying in 1300 because it was so convenient to everything. Pizza per Tutti is right around the corner and serves snacks and sandwiches and pizza. AND according to dd, the BEST Miami Vices (virgin of course)- pina colada & strawberry dacquiri.

liverpool
Level Contributor
113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Dress code is pretty relaxed shorts are allowed in the restaurant but have to wear sandals no flip flops

Cant remember seeing any wine or gin but i would be pretty certain they would have them in all the bars because the choice was vast

If i was you i would upgrade to the Divi it is much better and stay in Vista 11 beachview the rooms are great and the views are fabulous with a smalll garden

10 steps to the beach and a further 50 to the sea fantastic

A lovely walk is to the high rise area about 45 mins and you pass a turtles nest 10 mins from the Divi and they should be hatching soon dont miss it

A palapa is an umbrella but if you stay in Vista 11 you wont need one

Mainly americans from the Boston area never seen any Brits

$US are widely accepted

You will love it dont worry

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Hi,

Are you flying out with First Choice from Manchester on that date?

If so, then we'll no doubt see you there!!!!!

Can't wait, either

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Yes, Jaybee

First Choice, Manchester flight - 10 am ish I think -note to self, look at tickets, soon!!!!

Best not wish the 10 sleeps to come too soon - the 14 sleeps in Aruba will fly by !!!

Looking for bargain suitcases - both got damaged on the way home from cyprus - grrrrrrrrrrr

Happy packing

Jan

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Be starting my packing tomorrow, as I'm away working all week, home next Fri night. I'm going for a sleep less though, as we're staying in a hotel at Manchester Airport on Sunday night, so that's first night as far as I'm concerned!

A chill-out time in the steam room will do me must dandy that night too!

Can't wait! ! !

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Ahhhhh now Hubby mentioned tonight if we ought to stay at a hotel Manchester side prior to the flight out - will probably book it due to the parking package along with it.

Noooo steam room for us - hotel bar I think :)

Jan n Colin

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

We had a good look around, and booked our parking through APH Airport Parking website - found them the best price really. Got a nice hotel and 15 days parking for £99, which was only about £17 more than parking alone.

Can't complain, eh? Sure we'll visit the bar too, of course!

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

Jan n Colin, excited???

See you at the Tam next Thursday. Look for the kid in my avatar. ;-)

I'll buy you a drink ;-)

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying out to the Tam on the 9th June 08

I am awake early - up n out soon, things to do, travellers cheques to get etc etc Ohhhh and two new cases to buy, I almost forgot to put them on my list!!!

Arubalisa - We insist - the first drink is on us!!!

Not long to go now :)

Jan n Colin x