We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
nj
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
if you are wondering about palm beach aruba or occidental

just got back today from 6 nights of aruba and the occidental. There was so much talk about how the water at palm beach was dirty. It had me worrying or months.I have been to many different islands and palm beach aruba in front of the occidental was the clearst water i have ever been in. It was crystal clear. You can see fish and your feet from yards out. I really don't understand where people are coming from with there neg posts. Occidental was great the food was good. The rooms were gorgeous, great food,top shelf alcohol, nice pool even though i was at the beach all day. The downtown area was nice and clean. There were many good restaurants to choose from also. We still live for the all inclusive because we are in our 20's, enjoy to drink had all our meals included like breakfast lunch and dinners but you still have the option to go out and get a nice dinner or two. It's nice to be on vacation and not have to worry about expense. So I think that's about it. If you have any questions just reply.

new jersey
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: if you are wondering about palm beach aruba or occidental

I am glad you had a great time and everything was good. We are going in July and I can't wait. We chose it because I work with someone who was there in January and they also loved it. I think some people just expect way too much.

Niagara
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if you are wondering about palm beach aruba or occidental

smpump79,

It's nice to hear you had a great time.

My wife and I are going next week.

Do they offer room service? If so, during what time?

Do you have any tips? (reserving a hut?) which restaurants tasted the best?

Cheers

Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if you are wondering about palm beach aruba or occidental

I just got back about a week ago and the Occidental was great. WE did the royal club and that was wonderful. If you are royal club they have a small section reserved for this area you do not have to get up early to reserve huts on beach. If not Rc I suggest you get your towel out very early around 6:00am for a front spot w/ shade. the food was pretty good although we must have gotten an off night in the Italian resturant because everyone said it was great but like I said off night because it was awful. When our waiter asked how everything was I had to telll the truth and asked him just how long did you leave the pasta in the microwave. The japaneese was our favorite did it twice The Caribean restuarant was pretty good didn't do the Mexican but heard it was good. breakfast and lunch was also good actually breakfast was my husband's favorite over the lunch. The drinks are top notch Rodey was a great bartender at the pool bar. hope this helps let me know. enjoy your stay!!!!!

nj
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: if you are wondering about palm beach aruba or occidental

we woke up every morning around 8:00 and were able to get a hut right by the bar. I read many reviews about having to wake up a 6:00 but that was too early for me. There is no room service. The riu has that. We snuck into to the riu to check out out and although it was huge and new, it was very open and kind of boring. The occidental had so many more trees and a more tropical feel. The pool was really nice even though I was at the beach most of the time. I have stayed at rius many times and they are really nice and they definetly had better food but the occidental just had the nicest property out of every place i walked through on plam. That's the marriot where the water was dirty and I felt there were to many people. The hiatt was nice but the pool was small and the raddison was pretty nice too, but remember no free food and boose at these. I didn't even pay more for the occidental. We didn't do the royal club because I heard there was barely any diference. You don't need a seperate check in. It took us about ten minutes to check in with everyone else. The whole trip was $1390 for 6 nights seven days flying out of newark. From what i researched the rayal club was a lot more.

phila, pa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: if you are wondering about palm beach aruba or occidental

I have been going to the occidental for 5 years, with the exception of when it was under construction, where we stayed at the Radisson. I love the Occidental and I never had no worries about the food, or I would have never went back. The year we stayed at the Radisson, I actually spent more money going out for each meal & tipping. We also tip very well at the Occidental, even though it is all inclusive. I have seen people get 5- 6 drinks at a time all day long and never give the bartender a tip!

I could never do this, these people are so nice and work very hard.

As for the Royal Club rooms, you do get some perks, but I think it is way to $$$. Two years ago I upgraded my room to Deluxe Concierge, there was no difference except we had fruit in the room which had been sitting there for some time. We were suppose to make our reservations thru the concierge, but Guest Services which was sitting next to the the concierge desk, and she handled it, so for the extra bucks it was not worth it. The RC Rooms get way more privledges, so it is up to the person!

6. Re: if you are wondering about palm beach aruba or occidental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 06:23