We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
562 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

I hear many people talk about taking a collapsible cooler with them to bring drinks to the beach, but I'm having a hard time grasping the concept. How can it be thin enough to collapse and fit in a suitcase, but thick enough to insulate my ice and (Balashi) beer?

Any suggestions of where to get a cheap one?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

Soft-sided coolers are more or less akin to a large insulated lunch bag.

Most large retailers carry them. Try Target or Walmart. Most coolers are designed to hold, at a maximum, a six pack.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

Any place like a Target/WalMart has them. Anywhere from maybe $7 - $20 bucks. They fold up flat (maybe 2-3 inches thick). I've been using the same $12 cooler for years. Works great!

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

I bought mine at Walmart last year for Belize (I knwo Walgreens also have them). It works great! You can find it in the "Ice Chest" department where the "hard" ice chests are found. Yes, they fold down and collapse to pack right in your suitcase or in one of the 'outer' pockets of the suitcase. Ours even has a small zipper opening on the top to just 'reach in' and grab a soda, etc., and a pocket in front to put snakcs in. They also work great to take a bottle of wine and glasses, etc. Enjoy!

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

Here's a photo of one:

www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx…

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

I just purchased one at CVS - Thermos brand, but it's a little bigger than the one in the picture and has a nice flap opening to access ice cold beer! :)

swampscott, ma
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

try building 19, ive been using one that holds 40 pounds of frozen food which we check and then fill with drinks for the pool and beach. I paid $8

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
562 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

OK, interesting. I have an insulated lunch bag -- I guess I could just bring that. I'm just not sure how long it will keep ice frozen and beers cold. I guess we can easily refill, since we plan to stay on the beach in front of the hotel the majority of the time.

I'll do a quick run to CVS to see if they have one more like that Thermos one though. It is definitely more substantial than my lunch box.

Thanks everyone!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

I would say spend the $10-15 and invest in one. Definitely larger than a lunch tote and we have never had an issue with leakage.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

I would also suggest going to CVS and getting one, especially since their summer items are on sale. A lunch bag isn't going to be nearly as big enough, IMO.

The one we first bought and have used for 6 years now just recently started leaking. I was able to get almost an identical one at CVS for $2.00 because I had $13.50 in CVS $$$!

swampscott, ma
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Explain these soft-sided coolers to me.

we also bring a 24 can cooler on wheels with a telesscoping handle, and it is semi soft sided. works great and easy to wheel everywhere. we fill it with food frozen on the trip down and no leaks. worth it!