We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved Aruba, Where Next?

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Hello,

I recently spent a week at the Bucuti in Aruba and words can not express how beautiful this island is. I love everything about it. It is going to be a difficult one to top. Anyways, I have been looking around and trying to find something somewhat comparable. I will return to Aruba, but I don't want to do the same vacation every time. What I like about the island and Eagle Beach were the: nice wide white sand, friendly people, safe environment, a little night life, beautiful water with relatively good swimming conditions, and it is not very expensive. I also liked the wide range of dining selecions. Any suggestions here? I've been looking at St. Marteen, Puerto Rico, Punta Cana, Playa Del Carmen, Turks and Caicos, Barbados, Bermuda, etc. I would like to go to Bora Bora, but can not afford it right now. There are so many. I've been to Jamacia, St. Thomas, St. Croix, and the Bahamas. I love the overall atmosphere in Aruba. It was definitely one friendly island. Any help greatly appreciated.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Aruba is almost incomparable IMO. Everyone will have a different opinion about where you should go, so it will be up to you. Personally, I would go to the Barbados board and also Playa del Carmen for more info on those destinations.

Aruba
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Check out Curacao.

If you like Aruba then you deffinitly will LOVE Curacao.

Curacao is an island next to Aruba that offers anything twice as better then Aruba and they are more dutch.

The island is very safe and inexpensive and there is a lot more to do then Aruba.

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Check into Ambergris Caye, it is an island off the coast of Belize. We stayed there for 2 weeks (at Xanadu Resort-right on the beach, gorgeous resort), great island, everyone drives golf carts around, great snorkeling-second largest reef in the world, we flew back and forth between the island and the mainland for excursions (mayan ruins, cave tubing, zip lining, etc.),many great restaurants, fatastic lobster. It was the best vacation we have ever had! We are going to Aruba in December for 18 days (first time), so we'll see how it compares!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,453 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

I have been to many of the places you mentioned

St Martin is far the best - but prices there are in Euros and therefore very expensive

Bermuda is beautiful - but is only a summer destination

it rained evey day I was in Barbados - one December

Bahamas - area around Nassau is scruffy - loads of cruise sgip passengers and cheap nasty shops - hated that dreadful Atlantis hotel (like Vegas only much more expensive )

Loved the Turks - beautiful beaches - but not much nightlife

St Thomas - not impressed

and so on !

oh - and we liked Aruba so much we bought a time-share there

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the response. I posted a while back and your post actually helped me pick the Bucuti. I tried to tell the guy at night that Tony sent me but he looked at me like I was crazy. Anyways, good to hear from you. I also got the Bora Bora recommendation from you but looks so expensive ($8000 - $10000/week for 2 people.) So Barbados and Playa Del Carmen would be good picks. For myself and the girlfriend, it's all about waking up and walking right out on the beautiful beach. Although, the friendly people and saftey factors both play a big role in the decision. Adults only was nice too. My girlfriend is also afraid of the ocean, but this is the first time ever that I got her to go in, actually relax and have a terrific experience. Thanks for recommending the Bucuti. It couldn't have been better. Any favorite resorts on either of those islands that you mentioned?

Rob

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been to Curacao when I was younger. Don't remember much except my parents brought a ton of that thick, colored liquor home. Might be a good option. I'll have to look into the Ambergris Caye recommendation also. St. Martin is up there on the list too. I like the euro islands. See what I mean? So many choices...

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Travel agent in the house! ;-)

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,605 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Hi rob!

You're welcome!

I have only been to PDC and Barbados on cruise ship

stops, so certainly no expert. Iberostar Grand in the PDC area or one of the Secrets hotels may appeal to you. They are adult all inclusives. The little that we saw of Barbados also was appealing. I think the safety factors, beaches, friendliness of the people, etc were pretty comparable to Aruba.

Whoever you spoke to at the Bucuti wouldn't know who the heck Tony is. They address us by our last name. If you asked Deborah, the resort manager, about Tony & Dee from NJ, she would know us.

Good luck.

san francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Hey Tony,

That was the best vacation ever. Great recommendation. When I return, which I will someday, it will definitely be Bucuti. For now I will begin researching them. Out of the two, which appealed the most? Have you ever been to St. Martin or Curacao? The other off the wall option for me is Kauai. The only reason that I am opting for another Carribean island is because I remember the surf was very rough in Kauai and I would like my girlfriend to be able to enjoy going into the ocean again.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loved Aruba, Where Next?

Unless someone other than the annoying TROLL can give some honest insight about Curacao, I would move on to another island.