We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

Just got back and we've been about 15 times. We've always stayed downtown at the Reniassance (was the Sonesta) and seldom went to the low or high-rise areas for dinner.

I think Aruba tourism is suffering from a recession just like to rest of the world is--- much to my dismay. Several restaurants appear to have closed. We usually eat between 6:00 and 8:00 PM and the restaurants were not busy. We ate at The Paddock, L G Smiths, The Old Man and The Sea, Matilde and Pinchos on the Pier. The places were half full at best. I love Aruba and I love the people, but I guess people around the world are thinking twice about how they are spending their money.

I'm "almost" retired and, thank God, i don't have much money in the stock market, but the value of my portfolio is 1/3 of what it was 6 months ago.

Kini Kini Transfer & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Wix Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Justin's ATV Rental and Tours
Equipment Hire, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Northants, UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

That's awful, seems like everyone is going through the same...sad to think of Aruba struggling but they must have the same pressures as everyone else.

Our crap UK pound is useless now - long gone are the days of $2 to the £1!!!

I'm still booking my hols, It maybe idealistic but I think we need to keep spending to keep the economies ticking - as long as we have the cash and not credit!

buffalo,ny
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

Kentga. Hi have a quick question on restaurants...are they decorated for Christmas?? Is anything decorated for Christmas on the island yet? My kids would get a kick out of that!! Thank you!

Boston
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

Yes! I got back on the 15th and there were tons of Christmas decorations out - even in the airport!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

To: beachrelief

I didn't specifically see Xmas decorations at restaurants, but I heard my wife and daughter say, "Look, they've got out Christmas decorations!".

We stay in "town" and the restaurants I mentioned all have lights around trees, posts and columns, along walkways, etc. to give it a Christmas look. It gets dark around 6:15- 6:30 and is really colorful. If you're staying at the low or high rise hotel areas, I can't answer, but would guess yes.

Have fun, Kent

Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
934 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

To---EM26

I was complaining last January in London,

when I got $2.09 for one pound. My first

trip there, the exchange was $1.29.

But I do love London! A great city!

Cannot wait to go back.

----Ken

Aruba
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

Hotel bookings here are estimated 20% down for the coming high season and the Hotel Association and Tourism Authority are very worried and making plans on how to address the issue (which I guess will be very difficult with the world economy headed downward). I'm guessing some good deals will come out to get people to the island so keep an eye out!

I was just reading in the newspaper that bookings in St. Maarten for the same period are down 50% so I guess all islands are hit in the same way. Sad but true.

Northants, UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

Hey JerseyBeachcomber!

Glad you enjoyed my favourite city, I've just finished working in Central London and it really is the greatest city!!

Sorry about your poor exchange rate - I bet that stung, and London isn't exactly cheap!

Off to New York for our first trip there in March - really looking forward to it, so COME ON THE POUND!!!!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

Hey: Pushi Rubanio,

The hotels will probably make deals to entice people to come. In the Aruba Today newspaper I saw the Westin was advertising specials. The countries such that are "visitor friendly" will be the ones that get the most business, and Aruba is at the top. I've been to SXM 3 times and have always enjoyed it--- don't know why they are off 50%. If it was the Bahamas, I would understand.

9. Re: Comments on restaurant business in Aruba in November!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:19