We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Theft?

My wife and I love to snorkel, and want to head up to the Malmok/Arashi area to do some snorkeling. Can someone give me some pointers on how to keep valuables safe while in the water and on the beach? I have read stories posted on shorediving.com that rental cars have been broken into and valuables have been stolen from the beach.

I want to be able to take my digital camera to the beach to snap some great photos, but would rather not have photos than a stolen $300 CAMERA.

Can anyone help?

Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
404 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft?

I too had read the posts about theft so my solution was to take a Kodak disposable camera to use when I knew that we would be away from our things when we were on the beach. I used my digital at other times. Surprisingly the Kodak camera took excellent pictures.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft?

How about wallet and most importantly ID?

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft?

Hi. We always use a belt bag type thing that is waterproof. Works great! You can find them at most luggage stores and Sears has them. They really don't get in the way when swimming either.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,047 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft?

You can buy a "splash caddy" through Magellan's:

magellans.com/store/…

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft?

Thanks for the help, but since you are all giving tips on theft, does this mean you have had experience or heard about this as well?

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft?

Tim -- Aruba is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean and, IMHO, safer than most beach resorts in the US....

Just use common sense as you would anywhere else and you will have an amazing hassle free vacation!

In 12 trips in 11 years, I have never experienced nor witnessed any theft nor nastiness anywhere on the island.

Have fun!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft?

We always rent a car when we go to Aruba (been about 15 times). We stay downtown at the Reniassance and park in a parking lot near the marina. We have never, ever had a problem with theft of breakin anywhere on Aruba. A couple of times we've rented the little Suzuki Jeeps with everything open to any and everybody. We've gone to one of the beaches near where you mentioned to snorkel and left a cooler, camera, clothes, etc in the Jeep with no problems. Been to Baby Beach and others and to restaurants for lunch and no problems. Hiked Hooiberg (sp) mountain and no problems.

If you are concerned, I'd rent a car and lock things in the trunk. Also, park where there are other cars and people. If you are really concerned, one of you can snorkel and one can watch the car and vice versa.

Kent

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
963 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft?

Tim1212

Dido. We have been there many times and have never experianced or even heard of anyone getting robbed. Lock your items in the trunk and rock on!

9. Re: Theft?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 22:19