We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

I am staying at the Bucuti in Dec/Jan and currently have a dinner reservation at Mathilde for New Years Eve.

I thought it would be nice to be in Oranjestad that evening but now I am having second thoughts.

I have read it might be difficult to find a cab and also that there are several firework shows along Eagle Beach.

So I am now considering Le Dome instead since it is withing walking distance of the Bucuti.... it's also one of the restaurants I have never tried (I have eated at Mathilde and it is one of my favorites).

What is your opinion? Is Le Dome (if I can even get reservations) a better choice for New Year's Eve than Mathilde?

And just FYI, I also considered Passion but have reservations there for Christmas night.

Thanks in advance.....

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

I would probably go with LeDome only because you will be able to see the fireworks along Eagle Beach.

Tulip is also having a special New Years Eve dinner/party that night, too, which includes dinner, live music and show, and champagne and fireworks at midnight.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

Thanks Amy - that's kind if what I was thinking, too.

Quick (albeit totally unrelated) story... I am a Delta silver medallion member but in 2008, I find myself only 1500 miles from gold level.. so of course, I need one more flight in December (cause I AM gonna reach gold this year, dang it).

So next Sunday, I am flying to and from Minneapolis to attain the gold level.

Mall of America, here I come. :)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

I know how you feel...my hubby is Silver Elite with Northwest and is always SO CLOSE to Gold by the end of the year but never quite gets there. LOL!!

I will tell the Mall of America you are on your way! I just had friends visit from NY last month (they extended a business trip) and they spent 3 whole days at the MOA! By the way, there is no tax on clothing in MN so if you're looking for clothes it's the place to buy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

I visited there a couple of weeks ago (just before the snow) and did pick up a few things... but I walked the entire mall in about 2 hours. I can't imagine staying there for 3 days!!! :)

The fare from Atl was only $200 total.. not too bad (and was the best I could fare I could find to reach my mileage goal). So I arrive at noon and depart at 5:30, which should give me 3-4 hours at the mall, which is plenty for me.

But it will be nice to be able to shop and pick up any last minute Christmas gifts (celebrating on the 15th since I will be in Aruba during Christmas).

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

I couldn't shop there for 3 days either - I told my friends they were on their own and I'd meet them for dinner! LOL!

We just got our first snowfall (about an inch) on Sat. night/Sun. morning. It was nice and dry until this weekend...but it looks pretty and puts us in the holiday spirit now.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

We were in AUA in mid December and we stay at the Reniassance downtown and we ate at the newly remodeled Mathilde and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a couple of thoughts:

What tiem are the fireworks? Would you want to eat at the Mathilde early and then get there in time for the fireworks?

Have you considered renting a car and that would solve the taxi problem (if it is a problem)?

I would think that there would be fireworks at the marina.

Been to Aruba many times and have never eaten at the Dome.

Have fun,

Kent

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

Kent:

Thanks for your thoughts... I've been to Aruba several times as well and have eaten at Mathilde a couple of times (it's even one of my top 3 personal favorites). No car rentals for me... especially not on NYE. Think I'll just move the reservation to within walkig distance of Eagle Beach.

And speaking of snow, I am in Marietta, GA and we are getting our first snowfall right now. :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

My reservation was changed to Le Dome (and confirmed by the restaurant). I think this was the right decision for me.

Thanks, again.

Aruba
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

Good choice! I'm sure you'll enjoy Le Dome and the fireworks!

California
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NYE Dinner - Le Dome or Mathilde?

Aruba Amy- Do you know more about NYE at Tulip?

Actually, what is the difference between Bucuti and Tulip? I thought they were one in the same? The reason I ask is because we made a reservation for Tulip for NYE. It's a bit expensive, $120/person, but includes a 3-4 course dinner, all you can drink, a band/entertainment and fireworks. We are in our young 30's and don't know if this is something for us. Do you know whether Tulips is any good or should we wing it and do some other restaurant/bar?

Thanks!!