We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent Help with Gold Crown Occidental Grand

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent Help with Gold Crown Occidental Grand

We decided today to try and book a trip week of June 20 to Aruba. We had some points left on our Raintree timeshare and got lucky (?) with a one bedroom available at the Occidental Grand. We know nothing about this resort. For us, the cost will just be airfare. Can anyone tell us anything about this resort? How is the weather that week? Any quick points you can give us is most appreciated as we have a hold on this property until Tuesday night.

Thanks.

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
757 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent Help with Gold Crown Occidental Grand

Occidental Grand is in the middle of Palm Beach. They have a nice pool area with a lot of action going on. Many tiki huts on the beach. It is an A/I resort...not sure if that is part of your deal. My friend owns a T/S there & when she purchased had to buy the meal plan, but made a deal with them to take the plan for only 4 nights rather than 7. She & her husband love it there.

Many restaurants, some bars & shops are located right across the street from this resort. Palm Beach is more busy than Eagle Beach. It has a walkway on the beach that you can walk from the Westin down to the Holiday Inn. Many watersports activities going on right on Palm Beach.

Go for it!!! I wouldn't hesitate especially since you are only paying for the airfare. Enjoy!!!

Scranton...
Level Contributor
168 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent Help with Gold Crown Occidental Grand

My husband & I own a timeshare at the Occidental and we love it. We have an older contract where we don't have to take the all-inclusive and we prefer it that way since there are so many great restaurants in Aruba and it is safe to travel about the island. The occidental has many palapas on the beach and the staff is nice. If you are foodies and have the option to not take the all-inclusive I would highly recommend dining out. The food at the Occidental is ok, but you can do much better on your own. The location on Palm Beach is right in the center of everything.

Have a great time!

Nancy

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent Help with Gold Crown Occidental Grand

I would think if you're trading that they will make you do the AI which is too expensive IMO. According to RCI, the fee for the AI:

Apr-12-2009 Jun-26-2009 Adult Fee: US $154.00

Child Fee: US $77.00 Fee daily Children under 7 years old are free.

Jun-27-2009 Aug-28-2009 Adult Fee: US $176.00

Child Fee: US $88.00 Fee daily Children under 7 years old are free.

That is way to high, that's between $308 and $352 a night for 2 people. You would have to eat a drink day and night to make up that amount. And that's just the AI, not what the room cost to begin with!

4. Re: Urgent Help with Gold Crown Occidental Grand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 11:19