We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling for the seasick

New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling for the seasick

I'd like to do some snorkeling in Aruba and after reading several posts, it sounds like it makes sense to get cheap masks before we depart the US and bring them on our trip. Since I've only been snorkeling once before and had a terrible time because I was way out to sea (several miles, probably a 45 min ride) and very seasick, I'm hoping to snorkel at a beach or maybe on a tour where you aren't on the boat for hours and hours. Any tips?

Maryland
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

I have the same problem!

In Aruba I either go to Renaissance Island or set up a private charter. Ren Island usually has great snorkeling out by the rocks but there have been a couple of days that were not as good. The nice part is that you are able to stop and start depending on your comfort level. You can also take a break and then go back in. The rocks are a nice buffer and keep the water pretty calm. DH likes to swim outside the rocks for more action and better viewing. One day the water was very calm and I went with him. It was really beautiful! If you are staying at the Renaissance access to the island is free. If not then you can purchase a day pass for about the same cost as a snorkel tour.

Two years ago we hired a boat right by the Surf Club for a private trip. There were 5 of us (only 4 snorkeled though). It was great because when we got to one of the sites the water was very rough and we asked them to take us somewhere else. There is no way I could have managed swimming in that choppy water or sitting on the boat without getting sick.

It is a cruel trick that I love the water so much but get sea sick so easily.

CT
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

I would grab a cheap mask and snorkel before you head to aruba. you can buy them on the island, but they will cost you a bit more. We're not talking a HUGE amount of money here, but nonetheless, you will save a couple bucks.

I'm not a snorkler per se, but i have heard good things about heading out off of Baby Beach. Car rental is the best way to get down there. The beach itself is beautiful.

I could be wrong about the snorkeling there... hopefully someone else will chime in as well. I beleive there are a few other spots too (again - hopefully someone will give you some better specifics!)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,305 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

I SCUBA dive and I get sea sick. I can get in one dive before I barf. For snorkeling I would have a similar concern and would try out baby beach. Here you are going in from the shore and no sea sickness to worry about. I believe that I get sick more from the diesel fumes from the engine then from the motion of the ocean. If you do try a boat excursion try one of the sailing excursion, at least there will not be an diesel smell.

New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

Vker - any idea how much it is to go to Ren. Island if we're not staying at their hotel? I went on the website but couldn't find any info or an email address.

Anyone have other ideas for snorkeling excursions that don't require a lot of time on a boat?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,937 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

Hi,

We went snorkeling on both Baby Beach and Palm Island. I also get very easily sea sick, but the short boat ride to Palm Island was no problem for me.

depalm.com/de_palm_island/de_palmisland.html

Pippi

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,021 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

If you're not staying at the Renaissance but want to go to their private island the cost is $75/person which includes lunch and one drink.

Other areas to snorkel directly from the beach are just north of the Marriott at Malmok and Boca Catalina. Both have great snorkeling and are not that far away from the high rise hotel area.

PA
Level Contributor
423 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

I also have the same problem. I took snorkel gear with me and went to Baby Beach. Love it there and no problem at all snorkeling.

New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

Thanks all. I think I'm going to try to find some inexpensive gear before we leave. Does it make a huge difference if it has a "purge valve," or not? Are there snorkel excursions that charge less if you have your own stuff?

9. Re: Snorkeling for the seasick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2010, 05:20