We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

New York
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

In 3 weeks from today (yay!!) I will be arriving at the Riu!!! I am stumped about a few things after reading the reviews.

1. Some people have said that that you can book a junior suite or a regular room. As far as I knew all rooms were junior suites. I looked on a few websites online and they all seem to have the cheapest rate in the junior suite. Should I be worried? I sent over an email to the riu requesting Tower A or B and they said they would try to meet my request. The responded very promptly which was nice.

2. Security - I have read on the forums about people lying about robberies. My husband and I always take precautions when we go away. Will our valuables be o.k. in the safe in the room? Do you think we need to purchase something (not really sure what lol) to keep our valuables safer?

3. Dinner Reservations - I have stayed at a Riu (Cabo San Lucas) before and I can't remember having a problem making reservations. In fact we were with about 12 people and were able to make reservations for 3 nights at a time. We did have to make reservations in person but that was not a problem, I have read in reviews you can only make one reservation for the same day in person, is this true? I also read that there are limited hours that you can make reservations. Does anyone know what hours you can make reservations at?

Sorry if I carried on a bit...but thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

New York
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

One more about dining, are the dining hours of 6:30 and 9:00 for the buffet or the a la carte restaurants?

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

My last stay there was March 2009, but i will try to answer.

There are "regular" rooms, but it seems like these rooms can only be booked by non-US citizens. US citizens seem to only be able to book Jr. Suites. I wold think you would be in the A or B building if booking one of those rooms.

We have stayed there 3 times and did not have any issues with missing items. That appeared to be about a year ago, where an ex-employee was arrested (I believe) for stealing.

There are 2 meal times for the ala carte restaurants which I think is not good, but all RIU's I have been to do that. We could only make reservations for the same day. I think it was from 8 or 9 a.m. until noon for the dinner reservations.

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
575 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

There is something called a Vacation Vault that you can purchase to put small valuables in. You can also use it at the beach. Google it and have a look.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

Some of the suites are partial ocean view and others are full ocean view...then there are jacuzzi suites.

We have never had a problem with security issues. We keep things locked in our room safe and we do not carry a lot of cash with us...although we used to before. There was an issue with some employees gaining access to the room safes but that situation has been taken care of...they no longer can access a room safe.

IMHO I think valuables would be safer in your room than a vault type thing you carry to the beach. We do secure our beach bag to the lounge chair...just in case someone would pick it up and run off with it. Just use the same safe practices as you do at home.

We never had a problem making dinner reservations.

Have a great trip and enjoy Aruba and the Riu.

New York
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better about the room and security. So do all junior suites get some view of the ocean or pool? That would be nice!! I am getting so excited it's coming very soon!!

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

Yes....you will have a view of both.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

If you are in the A building, you will have a pool and sea view. If in Building B, your room can face the pool with a sea view, or your room could also face the Westin in which case you will not have the pool view.

I have stayed in both A & B, B twice (which I like better, more of a breez on the balcony) and when in B, our room always faced the pool.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

Thank you, Divi...I'd forgotten about the rooms in B facing the Westin.

If you are assigned to B, request a room facing the pool.

We have stayed in both A and B. We prefer the higher floors with the larger balconies. Great for relaxing and enjoying a drink.

9. Re: A few questions about the Riu...a little confused.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 07:15