We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

OK, I'm very excited now, we're leaving on Sat. Dec. 03 for our 1st trip! Staying at Manchebo. I've gotten lots of great advice from everyone, so just looking for any last minute suggestions from anyone, what to see, do, where to eat, etc. I've got my Aruba Plus card, so I'm ready to go!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
925 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

If you have room pack some insulated mugs. The bartenders will have no issue making your drinks in them - keeps out the bugs/sand!!

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
369 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

We, also, will be leaving for Aruba on Saturday. This will be the 12th visit and always a joy to experience. All this talk of the water and it's cloudiness and sometimes odors, are to be taken with patience. This hurricane season has had a profound impact on the entire Caribbean. Nature will take care of the water as the season quiets down. Just enjoy yourself and relax. Visit some of the highrisers to see the lush vegetation and landscaping. Food ia almost always good. Have fun!

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

beachbum, have an amazing time!

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

Downtheshore, good post. It makes a lot of sense to me!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

If you like steaks, if you eat anywhere on the island, eat at El Goucho. You will not experience anything like it!

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

We are leaving this Saturday, too -- can't wait! We are staying at the Divi Aruba Phoenix.

If you plan to do any outdoor dining, take along some insect repellent -- if the mosquitos like you as much as they do me (they totally IGNORE my husband!), you'll enjoy your dinner more. Have a wonderful time!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

Hey MBG - I think we'll be neighbors! I did buy some insect spray - I heard that it is the "DEET" that makes the stuff work, and I found some stuff with 98% Deet...most of the others (like OFF) only have a max of 29%, so I'm hoping this stuff will work!

I'm FREAKING about the weather! I know, I know, everyone says don't worry about what it says, but I can't help it! 60% rain for Tues, Wed, Thur (that's as far as I can see on the website). I am really hoping that everyone is right and it'll only shower a few minutes or an hour a day, not all day long!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

If you like to snorkel, take a snorkel cruise with Jolly Pirates. That was the best time -- and really a much better quality experience than cruises I've taken in other locations. Grand Cayman had a beautiful reef, but the cruise didn't include food or drink, was a small group and, although it was fun, you didn't have the sense of camaradie (sp?) that you get with Jolly Pirates. I went with another operator in Aruba a couple of years ago, and had a blast with them too.

Snorkel cruise -- not to be missed.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

Shop in town at a store called Taste of Aruba. Great prices on shirts merchandise a little nicer than most of the stores.

Say hi to Andy from us folks in PA who bought the "Rolex" watch.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving This Saturday...Last Minute Suggestions?

Thanks, tinker. I'll be sure to shop at Taste of Aruba for some souvenior-stuff.

Maryanne - I'm bringing our own snorkel gear. We plan to rent a 4X4 for a couple of days once we get there. I want to go to some out-of-the-way beaches to do some snorkeling on our own. I've heard about Baby Beach and Malmok Beach for good snorkeling.