We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice for New Years Eve?

MA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice for New Years Eve?

We'll be at Radisson over New Years Eve with our over 18 year old. Do most of the guests celebrate at their hotel restaurants or are there any central festivities on the island that we should know about?

If anyone has been there during this time before, please share your advice. Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

Alas I've never been there during the holiday season, but I've heard that there are major celebrations in most Caribbean Islands during the holidays. In the Bahamas they have a Goombah festaval -- which they do a mini version of for the tourists during the summer. A waiter there told us that they call that "scrap" (the mini version). I also heard of major blow-outs in Puerto Rico. I expect that there will be plenty to do during the holiday season - but have no direct experience with it.

Have a great trip.

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

We go out to dinner (last year we went downtown...we had early reservations though). We met up with friends (who were staying at LaCabana) and went up to a high balcony to watch the island's amazing fireworks. That, in conjunction with a glass of champagne to bring in the New Year was totally amazing!

I would not personally stay downtown during midnight on New Years...there is major celebrating going on and finding a cab could be challenging. Many resorts have their own New Years celebrations going on. I'd e-mail or call the Radisson and ask what's going on that night. You may also want to consider where you will be dining that evening and set up your dinner reservations from home as places book up like crazy. We'll be down there for 2 weeks during the holidays, and have already made all of our reservations.

Also, be sure to check if the restaurant you will be dining at that evening has a fixed New Years menu complete with very high prices. We were originally booked at LaTrattoria (which is by the lighthouse and would have an amazing view...although the food is not too terrific). When I found out upon reconfirming that they had a fixed menu (and I had asked them about this when I had originally booked!)which would cost something like $150/person, I cancelled my reservations. There are 5 of us and no way did I feel like spending $750 for the evening! We wound up having an early dinner downtown at Rumba. It was fantastic.

Have an amazing New Years in Aruba...you will be in awe!

Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

Spending New Year's in Aruba is quite an experience! The only word of advice I will give is - after midnight it is very difficult to get a cab. The Arubans are very family oriented and want to be home with their familes. So, unless you have your own transportation you may want to stay close to your hotel.

MA
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

Thanks everyone for your comments! Good point about the cab issue. I think i'll contact hotel for info and plan on staying within walking distance of hotel.

Last year we were in Curacao (cruise stop) for the day before New Years Eve and it was insane!!! Fireworks everywhere...Streets shut down...all stores closed!!! Sounds like Aruba may be similar.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

This will be our third trip on New Years Eve. We went out on a sailboat for the past two years and thoroughly loved it but have decided to look for something different this year. The fireworks are fantastic. You start seeing them just after dark with the bulk of them between 11:00 and midnight. Be sure to be downtown during the day on the 31st as the have HUGE strands of firecrackers going off on every street downtown. The locals love this holiday. Taxi service does stop so that the locals can be with their families for midnight however it starts back up again after 1am.

We had friends who went out on Tatoo for NYE and friends who went to the Rad hotel party. Neither thought it was a lot of fun nor worth the money. If you want a nice dinner that evening - do start trying to book now.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

We will be in Aruba for New Year'eve. We made reservations for the gala event at the Tierra del Sol golf course. They are having a big party. It is $165.00 Us/person including everything (food , party favors & open bar). Someone suggested that it would be a great place to watch the fireworks.

France

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

Ling & Sons grocery store will be having their fireworks at 10 p.m. on Dec. 30 (not the 31st).

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice for New Years Eve?

Don't plan on Madame Janette's for New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. We were just there last Friday night for dinner and asked our waiter when they were open for the holidays. They are open both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but closed Dec. 31 and Jan.1. Would HIGHLY recommend dinner there. Chef is a graduate of Johnson and Wales Culinary School in Miami and food/service/ambiance is wonderful. Lovely Christmas lighted decorations, too. Eat outside -- no worries about mosquitoes as they have citronella candles scattered about on the ground.

When I made the reservation in advance, I told them it was our anniversary. The waitress brought out two champagne / kir cocktails for us with the tops of the champagne flutes dipped in sugar. What a nice surprise!