We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexico or aruba.

belfast
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
mexico or aruba.

Hi all have just posted on the mexico forum as well we booked our holiday to mexico for next year,but am having second thoughts as some people are saying the hotel has no wow factor as this is a gift for hubbys big birthday I want to get it right.Has aruba got better beaches than mexico Iam thinking of changing t the riu,if anyone has been to both places could they give me there honest opinion please thank you.

Aruba ATV Island Tour with Ayo...
236 Reviews
from US$78.00*
Aruba Catamaran Cruise, 2-Stop...
145 Reviews
from US$42.00*
Arikok National Park 4x4 Tour...
195 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Special Offer
Aruba Off-Road Island Tour: Arikok...
307 Reviews
from US$106.99*
US$111.78
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mexico or aruba.

We've been to Mexico about 15 times (at various resort towns) and Aruba 21 times. They are two completely different vacations.

Also, you did not say where in Mexico. We've been to about 7 different resort towns in Mexico, and again, all are very different depending on which town and which side of the country you've picked.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
belfast
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mexico or aruba.

Thanks for replying it is the edss resort adults only would you say mexico is quieter than aruba just so hard to pick the right place.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mexico or aruba.

Like Amy said, you really can't compare these two. We stayed at the Valentin a few months ago and the resorts are totally different than what you would find in Aruba. We had a great vacation, but seeing so many armed guards was a bit disconcerting. You also don't get to know the area and people as well as you can in Aruba. The Riu is beautiful, but you don't need big and beautiful as much in Aruba because you can tour the island and walk to dinner at some really good restaurants at night. Aruba is a very different kind of vacation and yes, I do consider the beach to be better.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mexico or aruba.

Where is this resort located in Mexico? Are you talking Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa, Mazatlan, Cozumel....tons of towns and tons of resorts - and all are different depending on the town and the location of the resort.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mexico or aruba.

Try Hyatt or Marriott hotels. To me these are the best hotels. Hyatt has smaller rooms and beautiful grounds. Marriott has balconies and bigger rooms.

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mexico or aruba.

Have been to 9 AI hotels in various locations of Mexico; Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Cancun and Puerta Vallarta. Have been to Aruba once and planning a return for next May.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. Mexico has really fabulous AI adult only resorts with all the marble and swim up rooms. Aruba has basic hotels. No real glitz or glitter. I persoanlly think Aruba does have the nicer beaches unless you stay on a resort at Maroma Beach outside of Playa del Carmen than its a rival. Mexico's water is clearer and the snorkeling is better especially if you go to Tulum or Akumal, which you can take a day trip to either location.

Mexico has more things to see and do off property like snorkeling, scuba diving, cenote swimming, cave exploration, zip lines, ATV's, speed boats, jet ski tours, monkey sanctuary, eco-parks, Mayan Ruins, and horseback riding just to name a few.

Aruba has really great restaurants and bars. However, 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen and San Miguel Sqaure in Cozumel do too and they are much less expensive than Aruba.

If you want to stay in Mexico, I would definitely reconsider your hotel choice. We stayed at the EDSS back in 2001. It's in the middle or nowhere and the beach area is pretty rocky. They have updated the hotel significantly since then, but there is nothing they can do about the location. Instead go with the El Dorada Maroma Beach, Secrets Maroma or the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Much better section of beach and about a 15-20 minute drive to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen.

You really don't need an AI in Aruba. There are many really great restuarants that are easy to get to and the bus system is cheap and convenient. I persoanlly don't like the RIU chain, but I have to say the one in Aruba is considerly better than the ones they have in Mexico, Jamaica and the DR, and you are going to pay the price to stay there compared to other locals.

Mexico has more AI's because the resorts in the Riviera Maya area are situated far away from Playa del Carmen. However there are some really nice hotels in Playa and within walking distance to 5th Avenue if you don't want to do an AI. Look at the Mahekal beach resort, Playa Maya, Las Palapas, Le Reve Hotel Spa, Magic Blue, or Petit Lafitte.

If cost is a factor (which is always is for us), you will get more for your money in Mexico, which is why we keep going there. However, Aruba is unique and definitely worth going to.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Miguel
San Miguel
396 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
belfast
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mexico or aruba.

Thanks again to all who replied,sorry i think its in puerto adventures at the moment I really do think although the hotel in mexico sounds really nice I think ive made the wrong deccission as the beaches in aruba look beautiful,sorry so many? but from your replies aruba sounds the more tropical island thank you.

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mexico or aruba.

You've probably made the best choice. Mexico is so large and vast and so many different areas to stay in that it takes alot of diligent research to first find the best area to stay in for what you're looking for and then the right hotel. There are just so many choices, and it can be quite overwhelming. Maybe when you return from Aruba, you can give Mexico a second chance.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
212 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mexico or aruba.

The EDSS is a beautiful resort, it is very secluded and tropical...they beach is quite rocky, but great for sunning and snorkeling. You can catch the collectivo or a cab to get to Tulum which has some of the most gorgeous beaches we've ever visited! We just returned from Aruba, and depending on what area you stay could make or break your trip. The hi-rise hotel area was very, very crowded. We stayed at an AI on a gorgeous beach in the low rise area. The beach was uncrowded, pristine white sand and you could walk for miles! We loved the freedom of being able to eat at the resort at our leisure, but also did some meals off the resort. We definitely want to return to Aruba...Mexico has it's own distinct feel, but after 21 trips to the Riviera Maya and Puerto Vallarta we feel like it's lost some of the charm and hospitality we used to love when we first began traveling there. The last several trips seemed to be full of people looking for ways to make an extra buck on the tourists...Will we return to Mexico...yes, but for the next few years I think we will be returning to Aruba!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mexico or aruba.

You will probably have a great time and save some money. While Aruba is by far our favorite, the Riviera Maya has become our "bonus" vacation destination. With enourmous competition, low labor costs and little need to import products, Mexico offers much to the consumer.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico