We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Back!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
I'm Back!

Hello! I'm back! Had a great week at Manchebo...will post my review this week. Thanks to everyone for your help these last few weeks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Back!

Welcome back! Glad to hear you enjoyed the Manchebo and can't wait to read your trip report!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
933 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Back!

Welcome back!!! Didnt you just love it??? Darn it stinks to be back though - it's been a month already for me...wahhhh!!!

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm Back!

Welcome back beachbum! Can't wait to read your report! :)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm Back!

Well, I posted my review today. Should be up in the next day or two. I really did have a good time in Aruba, but don't know that I would put this on my "Return To" list. Was not att all what I expected it to be like, but still had a great time!

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm Back!

Hey beachbum, even though it may not have been your idea of the perfect paradise, I'm still glad to see that you made the most of it and enjoyed yourself. Looking forward to reading your report. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm Back!

beachbumaz, glad you had a good time. Looking forward to reading your trip review.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
933 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm Back!

Thanks for taking the time to do your report - I have not read it but was just wondering..and I am not being a smart alec - what wasn't what you expected? It's interesting to me to know what people think about a place after they actually get there.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm Back!

xcptnl - well, when you look at all of the pictures of Aruba, you see lush gardens, swaying palm trees, divi divi trees, a very "Tropical" feeling. I felt like I was right back at home in Phoenix, Arizona. It was more desert than anything else. Even here in Arizona, in the desert, we have palm trees and lush gardens, but the desert is still the prevailing feel. I felt this way about Aruba. As we drove all over the island, it was mostly all desert, unless you were right up by the resorts.

(This is no fault of Aruba, or the Manchebo, but) I HATE the towel game. Manchebo guests played this game - reserving their chairs and palapas at 5AM...when I'd go out around 8AM, the beach would be virtually empty, yet every palapa was already reserved. Half the guests don't show up until much later, around noon. I'd be stuck either way in the back, or sometimes I'd take our lounge chairs and pull them way up the front in front of the front row of palapas and in front of guests, who gave me snotty looks, like I was in the wrong!! I want to be able to actually SEE the water! Anyways...that's a whole 'nother topic....

Food - I was not the impressed with any of the food we had. The food was "good", I thought prices were high pretty much everywhere, and not even very good service, with the exception of the Manchebo Steakhouse. Even at the Flying Fishbone, which I heard rave reviews about, the service there was slow...had to ask 3 times to get drink refills!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm Back!

I'll give another example...we asked around where to go for a fun bar. We were told Mombo Jambos (sp?) in Oranjestad...it is upstairs, next to the La Petit Cafe...we got there aroun 9PM - HORRIBLE service, ordered chips and salsa and two drinks, half-hour later FINALLY brought our chips and salsa out - it was TOSTITOES, NACHO CHEESE and PACE SALSA!!!! I couldn't believe it! AND, when we arrived, there were two other couples there, when we left an hour later, there was 1 OTHER GUY plus us there, and we STILL had to hunt down the waitress to get our bill!

We really did try to enjoy Aruba that best we could, and we did. It was a nice relaxing vacation, I was just disappointed in the appearance overall of Aruba. It turned out to be twice as expensive as our trip to Playa del Carmen last year, and we had a lot more fun in Mexico. I'm very glad we went, have great memories, but will probably not return.

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm Back!

beachbumaz, Ah! someone else who feels like me.

I enjoyed your trip review. Thanks for posting it.

We personally found that Aruba is over hyped and too expensive for what you get.