We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Topic
Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

We're staying at the Marriott Surf Club in october with our 2 year old son. My in laws told us that there is no need to rent a car. My friend (who has kids) said it's a must. Which then means we have to bring car seats.

So do you think renting a car is a must? Not quite sure how much one can do with a 2 year old in tow. Is it easy to drive around Aruba?

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

Top right hand side of the forum under "Top questions about ARUBA" check out Car Rental vs. Taxi.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147249-i151-k3909…

SE USA
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

Tough call to make....I would say it depends on the two adults rather than the toddler. In other words if the adults are adventurous then rent a car and strap the kid in...if the adults are not adventurous then forget the car and take a cab from the airport.

I'm not sure what I would do if we took our kids when they were toddlers...we didn't, we left them at home with grandma!

Have fun!

CT
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

you really dont NEED to rent one.

However, it depends on what your other options are as far as transportation... Will you take the bus or a cab? do you want go head off resort alot, and venture our of palm beach often?

Its hot... so a 2 yo may fuss abit if he's out in the warm air often. the walk from the marriott to the main stretch of palm beach is a bit. The marriott is at the far end of the palm beach area.

Is it a must? no. the bus is VERY convenient and safe... and use a taxi in a pinch.

Since you will likely be going back one day, i would skip the car seats on this trip. Scope it out, and get a feel for next year! TO ME - the car seat thing sounds like a real hassle...

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

We always rent a car....just our preference. A consideration though...if you were to use taxis, would you feel comfortable without a car seat for your little one? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't...but that's just my gut feeling.

If you do consider renting a car, why not ask (before making reservations) if they have car seats available?

Just as an FYI, we've had excellent experiences with Econo rental. I know that ArubaAmy has also been pleased with and recommended Optima and Tropic for rentals.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

It really does depend on what you plan to do. A nice day trip with your 2 year old would be to Baby Beach and you would need a car. The water is very calm and has a shallow entry. There are some palapas at the beach for shade, but you can also rent chairs and cabanas (the canvas kind).

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

Just as a point of information, some taxis do have car seats. The taxi driver Bully who has been mentioned here in the forum previously, always has one in his van and can be requested in advance.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

Are you not leaving the Resort? Dont you travel with the car seat for taxi rides and the airplane? I thought it would be easier to leave the SC with your own car and a toddler IMHO. We rent from www.ecno. they are right when you leave the luggage area, just cross the street and go left. When we trave, millions of kids are on the plane and I see so many car seats. have fun.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

We always rent a car. Last year when we brought our 2 kids, age 3 and 1, we rented a car. FRom Economy I think. We brought our own car seats. Thank GOD! I saw the car seats they had at the rental place and they were OLD. They had the drop down handle that comes over the child's head, like what you see on a roller coaster...

anyways...One thing we had a problem with was getting the car seats installed. The car we reserved, which SHOULD have had locking seat belts, did not. So the car seat was never a tight install. The car manual (I think we had a Toyota Corolla) said the seat belts should lock. My husband had to show the employees at the rental place multiple times that they were not working. They ended up upgrading us to a larger car where the belts did lock. Anyways...something to consider if you rent a car.

I loved having a car to go places. Baby beach, out to dinner, Ostrich Farm, etc... I would not feel safe riding in a taxi, etc...without a car seat. Its easy to drive in Aruba, but the driving is crazy and I would not want my kid in a taxi on someone's lap. Bring your car seat!!! You can check it at the gate, or use it on the plane if you have a seat for your son.

9. Re: Should we rent a car- 2 year old in tow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 04:18