We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

This was our fourth trip to Aruba, and they just keep on getting better.

We left out of Newark Airport on 9:00 am flight non stop. Everything went on time and arrived in Aruba before 2. Took us no time to get thru customs, pick up bags and also stop for cigarettes. Bully’s taxi was waiting outside for us and we were on our way. Within 10 min. we were at the Divi AI. Check in was a breeze and by 3:30 we were sitting on the beach. I have to say that they keep on making improvements on the grounds (gardens) and the main pool looks great. Really didn’t spend to much time at the pool as there beach is the best. We had no problem getting reservations for dinner, but we did not care if we had later seating as we were on the beach till 6 every night. I guess to get prime time you would have to get there first thing in the morning. Have no complaints about the food, always plenty of choices so we never got bored with the food. We ate in all the restaurants except the Palm Grill (to hot).

Also, we met a couple from TA, Indy and Chirs, which was really nice because we did have dinner together and breakfast also met on the beach. We also picked them up the following week and went snorkeling at Boca Catalina Beach and then met for lunch. I have some pics that I will try to post. Hopefully they will be back next Sept. so we can get together again.

We also did our first Sunset Cruise with the Black Pearl. Have to say we had a great time. Very comfy seats and 2 snorkeling stops and cheese sandwich was pretty good, lol. We will see them next year.

We are never disappointed with the Divi, rooms are still very old but thanks to Christina (housekeeping) our room was always clean. We stayed on the second floor of the Lanie building, love it for the beach front. But IMO any of the rooms are just steps away from the beach. We had 2 nights of rain with thunder and lightning but always got plenty of beach time during the day.

The following week was moving day to the Bucuti. Tropic brought our car to the resort and we were on our way (half a block away, lol). We also love our stay here! We stayed in the Tara Suites, 3rd floor. We had requested ground floor with our TA but it is first come first serve at this resort. Well this week was totally different weather wise. We got there on Monday went to Ling and Sons for beer, snacks and wine. When we came back our room was ready and were on the beach by 3:00. We met Indy and Chris for snorkeling and lunch on Tuesday. The following day we stayed on the beach till the floods started, lol. I have never seen it rain so much in Aruba. The rest of the week was spent running from the beach to the bar, lol, to get out of the rain . We decided to take a ride into town and what a mistake that was. The roads were so flooded you could not get out of the car. Well we did get a couple of hours a day on the beach before or after the rain.

I was really disappointed we did not get to do our beach dinner at Passions, but it was rained out every night. We did get to try a few new restaurants on our list. We went to Screaming Eagle, food was very good but service was spotty at best. We also tried Sole Mare which we will make a must for every year. Service here was the best we had all week and the food was excellent. We also ate at Elliot’s which is near Bucuti the food was just ok nothing really special. We tried Fish and More, they had a special I think it was 24.99 per person for 3 courses. I thought the food was very good and service was also good, we will keep this on our list for next year also. We did eat lunch at Matthews a few times and went to Salt and Peppers and our usual trip to Mulligan’s.

Also, our last day there finally meet Sue W. I must of went up to about 3 different women and asked if they were Sue. I was in the ocean and Sue comes up to me and says “are you Sharon”. We ended up talking in the water for about an hour. Wish we could have got together before our last day. Maybe next year.

All and all (even with all the rain) we had a great trip. Hopefully we will be back again next September but without all the rain.

Thank you all for all your help on planning our trip.

Sharon

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Welcome back!

SueW was talking about "Sharon" and I was wondering if it was you. We've known Sue since around 2000 (went to her daughter's wedding in Aruba last Sept.) And we're going out tonight her to dinner at Barefoot tonight. She ended up staying an extra week (she said you gave her the idea!)

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Thanks Sharon-I can't wait!

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
261 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Thanks for the great report. Sounds like you had a wonderful time despite the weather. My friend is coming back tomorrow and I was going to check with her about the weather, so thanks for the update. You were going to post about netbooks and Bucuti, was one available to you for your trip? Can't wait leaving on Wednesday. I keep reading all the reports and keep changing my mind on places to eat.

Pat

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Amy, Tommy and I were thinking about you coming in on Sat. with all the rain. But hopefully the weather is better now. Sue is such a sweet women wish we would have met sooner, but glad she stayed the extra week. Already looking forward to next year. Tell Sue "good for her" and all have a great time.

Pat, I brought my own laptop because you do not have internet on there netbooks, but if you want one request it at check-in they will bring it to your room. Have a great trip! They are really there to please at Bucuti!

Sharon

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Great report, sorry to hear about the rain. It's almost unimaginable to hear all of these reports of rain and flooding - not a common occurence!!!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Hey Sharon!

I give Tom all the credit for my being here the extra week. I was telling Gerry about it when I returned to my palapa. Later at sunset he asked, "Why don't you stay an extra week?" and here I am! Ohhhhh, the power of suggestion!!! Wish it had worked out for you, too.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Sue good for you!!! Wish we were there also, lol. But have to wait till next year. Hopefully the weather has improved.

Did you guys book at the Bucuti for the extra week? Well you lucky dogs, have a great week and looking forward to your TR.

Sharon

North Wales
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Hi Sharon, Tommy

Thanks for not mentioning the "beached whale" at the Boca Catalina Beach, hope there's no photos of that!! I was expecting a video on utube when I got back!

We put our review on tripadvisor Divi hotel site and sort of glossed over the rain.

Hope we can make t next year.

Indi and Chris

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

Indy, you are too funny, lol. I will forward the pics. Would love to put the sunset sail on utube. Dont know how?

Miss you guys,

Sharon

10. Re: Trip Report 9/13 thru 9/27

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 06:42