We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
566 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

One of the funny or not so funny things we noticed going up and down the beaches early morning were the palapa crazy people. There seems to be all kinds of rules concerning these palapas from place to place. We are early morning coffee people that loved strolling the high rise and low rise beaches before sunrise. We were amazed to see these people up before sunrise hanging their beachbag up on the palapa pole. Many would put trinkets on the table like coral, coconuts or shells to mark their palapa. Some even putting white T-Shirts around the top of lounge chair in case of towel crook, I guess! Who would steal an old T-Shirt? You would see them dragging sometimes 5 or 6 beach lounges next to their palapa and spreading out a towels on them with clips or maybe a pair of sandals. Then run off to their room having saved the best location. This is not so funny when many hours later they still just saved it and never sat down at them. We read some signs on palapas that read two hours- not here you will loose it. But it seems this is not a high security concern. Where are the palapa police when you need them? Also some palapas state that before 7 am no saving allowed unless your with your palapa. That looks like where grandma or grandpa or the nanny comes in. They must sit there all alone in the dark saving the sacred palapa for the family! We talked to alot of people about this crazyness and they said you have not seen anything like it untill high season. One guy even said he saw a fight over the saving of a palapa. Its funy to see after a heavy morning or afternoon rain, 6 wet towels on the chairs- still no people sitting there. They werent even around to make sure the towels were under cover during the rain. Another person told us that this is their same palapa every year and people know not to take it! If you have a good palapa story we would love to hear it! This just amazed us!

Sean and Susan

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Palapa pigs are no different from drivers who deliberately block intersections or don't use a turn signal when they see you stopped at an intersection. No different than the people who push and shove at Black Friday sales. Lots of other examples. Too many selfish people. I still have faith that most are not like that.

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
566 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Wow TonyNorthCapeMay,

I never knew they have a name for them in Aruba-"Palapa Pig" that is so funny but so fitting! You made us laugh.

Sean and Susan

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

As first time visitors it appears you had a wonderful time and saw and did alot of wonderful things...I am delighted and I hope you return to see even more of our special island, as you have just touched the basics. However, the palapa system has worked just fine for most of us for years dispite the very small percentage that try to take advantage...And we police ourselves pretty well, seldom with harsh words nor fisticuffs. Some of us actually find dawn on the beach with coffee and old friends to be a highlight of our annual sojourns...Perhaps next visit, you might not judge us so harshly?

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
566 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Dear PlayLindaMike,

It sounds like you are not one of those Palapa people who take advantage of the system that you guys have in place. As this is an open forum you should'nt take anyones observations and stories directed at you. As a first timer to Aruba ,those people I mentioned are not like you and I who enjoy morning coffee,walks and chats with people on the beach. So please don't think I judge you, I'm sure that small % who do act that way will feel they are being judged harshly and get upset. But maybe they will not behave the way they do after reading this and enyoy their annual sojourn as you do.

Sean and Susan

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Crimms 1

PL Mike 0

Crimms, very classy reply. I agree 100%. Mike, IMO, you whiffed on this one. Sorry. No offense. I know that you would not be a PP.lol.

Tony

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Heck Tony, you haven't been off the beach at Bucuti in 20 years, how would you know about the "palapa wars" on Palm Beach? ;) It must be a Jersey thang with you two! ;)

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Mikey, I,m about to find out. Radisson, here I come 5/21/2011. It isn't easy making changes but somebody's got to do it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

Um, we will be arriving at the Occidental on July 3 and would like to ask someone to hold four lounges and a palapa for us. (As close to the water as possible please.)

The following week, we will be at Casa del Mar and we like the palapa to the right of Matthew's, front row. If someone could run down and claim it for us........

Thanks!

Ramsey N.j
Level Contributor
566 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

dogwriter,

Funny you should say Casa del Mar. They lost some palapas, as well as ABC due to storm damage. We stayed at ABC until this past sunday ( they share each others facilities) for a week and loved it. Matthews has some crazy happy hours! What a blast! The front row of palapas is right on the waters edge as of now, so they are in high demand. No sharing!!!!

Sean and Susan

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Palapa Crazyness!!! So Funny!!!! Warning!

"The front row of palapas is right on the waters edge as of now, so they are in high demand. No sharing!!!!"

Perfect! We LOVE to lie under the grass hut AND dangle our feet in the water at the same time we are enjoying two-for-one from Matthew's.

Ahhhh-ruba!