We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive or not?

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All inclusive or not?

Ive read alot about how there are some very good restaurants in Aruba & wondered if u would recommend going AI? Whats the cost of such meals & would it be expensive to have to eat out every night? If we went AI i would still go for meals at a couple of the other restaurants. Thanks. Caroline

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive or not?

Drinks are more of a concern. They are fairly expensive. Also, the AI choice versus the non AI choice. I think it would be of benefit to narrow your choices for AI and non AI. For example, let's assume the Radisson and the RIU. Find the cost for each, then add the cost of drinking/dining to the Radisson and see what happens. In all probability, it will cost a bit more to go non AI in this scenerio. The question becomes whether the cost difference is justified.

Personally, I would not choose AI. I am going to Aruba for the thirteenth time. Went AI the first two only. There are many very good moderately priced restaurants to choose from. There are also many higher priced excellent choices. Balancing your choices would be a benefit for reducing cost.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive or not?

Traveler Article: Aruba: All Inclusive vs. Non All Inclusive?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147247-c121955/Aruba…

Top right side column: Top questions about Aruba

All Inclusive vs. Non All Inclusive

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k4161…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k4154…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k4099…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k4148…

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive or not?

thanks, will have a look. Usualy go AI as it can get expensive buying drinks all day when youre at the beach & as weve never been before we dont know all the best places to eat so AI always seems a good option, at least you know what to expect & can still go to the restaurants away from the hotel. I like the idea too of not having to wait to pay, you can leave a tip & go

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive or not?

Def non-AI in Aruba. You can save $$ by getting a place with a kitchenette or just a fridge and then take a trip to a grocery to buy some basics or just some drinks.

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive or not?

if you byob to the beach, just bring a soft sided cooler. we have never had a problem bringing drinks to the pool or beach. i'd plan on average depending on where you eat, spending from $25.00 per person and up, without drinks.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive or not?

We love AI at the Riu...food was very good to wonderful. Many do not like AI...I want nothing to do with cooking on vacation...not even breakfast.

I like doing AI because of the convenience...plus we do eat dinner away from the resort sometimes.

I've done the figures many, many times...AI was always the best for our buck, not to mention having to worry where you're having dinner each night.

Good luck with your decision.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive or not?

We always do AI. Some people prefer different experiences. One great thing for AI is that 'everything' is already done. I know for us, we are on vacation to get out of a kitchen not move into another. You still have the option of going out. Whatever floats your boat.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 12:57
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusive or not?

Aruba has many wonderful restaurants. Grocery stores are neat and clean. Water is safe to drink. We go to the store and take drinks to pool and beach. We also bring food to the pool and beach. I do not cook on our Aruba trip. Have been know have wonderful meals under the stars with a whole bunch of Aruba friends. So many people on this board do speak so positively about AI and the food and drink options.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusive or not?

The OP has the same concerns that I had planning my first two visits to Aruba. Fear of the unknown. We went AI to be "safe". Once we became familiar with the island, AI was no longer a consideration. We travel as a couple, so no kids or friends to worry about. Those who are convinced that AI or non AI is best for them are making the right choice. The idea is to do whatever works for you. I couldn't enjoy my vacation if I worried about getting the best deal for everything. Would never cook. Do not bring soft sided cooler to the beach. Much prefer to have a seat at the bar and engage in friendly conversation. It does cost more, but for me, is worth the extra money. I find it to be mind boggling how people worry about not getting the most for a buck. Thank goodness that wife and I are on the same page. We have traveled with friends that wouldn't go into a restaurant if the prices were not to their liking. I probably could save several hundred dollars by making different choices, but I consider those dollars to be a part of the overall vacation experience. The most popular choice in Aruba appears to be non AI. The opposite in Mexico, DR & Jamaica.

10. Re: All inclusive or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 06:18