We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now I'm worried about my trip

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Topic
Now I'm worried about my trip

We have gone to Jamaica for the past two years and loved it - we have booked 8 nights at RIU - should I regret what I've done??? All I want to do is relax during the day - drink and eat and sleep - doesn't anyone like RIU?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

Your kidding me right? If you liked Jamaica you will love Aruba. Jamaica is the worst Island i ever visited! I left early and flew to another Island after feeling like a hostage and our resort. Also being surrounded by locals the resent the crap out of you is something i wont be dealing with on the beyond safe and friendly Aruba. Relax, Drink, Eat and Sleep! You just hit a home at RIU in Aruba.

shhhitsasecret
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

ballhigh- We will be heading to Aruba for our first time in less then 3 weeks. We also love Jamaica, so much so that we got married there 6 years ago and have been to different locations in Jamaica 5 additional times. I am very excited to go to Aruba, after all everything I love about Jamaica is also in Aruba.......fantastic people, great beaches, beautiful ocean, and great restaurants. (Side Note I must say I have never felt like a hostage while anywehre in Jamaica and don't beleive I will in Aruba either, The only time I ever felt the least but uncomforatable in Jamaica was in Negril at the Jungle.)

We usually do AI when travleing, since often times it's the cheapest way to go vs. just a hotel plus AI is easy....meaning food and drinks are always available. This trip we will not be doing AI since we are staying at a

timeshare (Divi Phoenix) so we will have our "own" beverage service :).

I am planning on having a fantastic vacation and hope you do too!

Edited: 13 March 2011, 07:40
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

I agree, if you like Jamacia then you will LOOOOOVE Aruba.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

We went to Negril one year and felt it was beautiful. The next year, we went to Aruba. The following year, we went back to Aruba. One timeshare purchase and many multple week vacations later, we have never returned to Jamaica.

Good choice, unless lush green vegetation is a must.

spartanburg, sc
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

I'm glad you enjoyed Jamaica, but there is no comparison. Jamaica has natural beauty, but Aruba is awesome. It's so clean, safe, fun - you will not be disappointed.

Virginia
Level Contributor
969 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

73% of the people who have rated the RIU say it's very good to excellent. Those are pretty good odds that you will like it.

SE USA
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

RIU Aruba looks nice....I'm sure it will be fun...

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/22500278

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34271998

http://www.panoramio.com/lookaround/34271998

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
576 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

Another thumbs-down for Jamaica. I will probably never return to Jamaica. Aruba is soooo much better on so many levels. I also felt like a hostage at the villa where we stayed. The driver we hired for the week had to keep chasing people away from us as we traveled around. I felt so unsafe, and the beaches were not anywhere near as nice as Aruba's beaches.

Forked River, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

We have been to other islands including Jamaica two times. We even got married in Negril (Sandals). But, once we went to Aruba, that is where we go now all the time. When you go, go check out the divi aruba all inclusive. That is where we stay. The best stretch of beach and water. And you dont have all the people of the hirise section. We get the Casita room. You walk out the door and you are basically on the beach. The beach is never crowded. It is all inclusive so you dont have to think about money. You can eat and drink all day. We stayed at the Marriott with my nephews time share. Cant complain (it was free). But there was so many more people. And you just cant compare the water and stretch of beach down at the divi aruba all inclusive to it. The divi is water and beach is like heaven. No stairs, elevators ect. It is our little piece of heaven!!!

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Now I'm worried about my trip

We went to Coup,es Swept Away two years ago and would go back, but Aruba is where we bought a timeshare so we could go every year. That we can walk to dinner every night or to a beach bar for sunset is unbeatable. I bet you love your vacation at the Riu.