We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blistering Sun?

Woburn...
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Blistering Sun?

I have read so much about Palapa's...My question is if I don't get one will I fry like an egg (even with sunscreen) if I lay on a beach towel? I feel myself getting stressed about the idea of getting up at 4am to hold a palapa...!! I plan on booking at the Raddison in August !!

thank you...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,341 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blistering Sun?

I burn easily and even with SPF 50 applied a few times each day I have burned to the point of blisters. Others tan without a problem.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Blistering Sun?

wow, we have been to many Caribbean spots and this sun is a cooker!

We are here now (MVC Eagle beach) and went to Baby Beach for a few hours this a.m. and my wife is fried (she also put on 30 SPF). I would spend time in the sun for an hour or so then find some shade for a bit then back in the sun. While in the shade, have a look at your tan lines and remember that you will continue to cook a bit more after the sun. To be safe, I would get out of the sun a bit earlier when you think that you are fine. You can always go out the next day but if you are burnt then you can't go in the sun for a few days. Finding Palapas on Baby and Eagle at 10a.m. have been easy this week.

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
173 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blistering Sun?

Stayed at the Raddison last year and never had a problem getting a palapa. You reserve them the day before. For example, you'd reserve a palapa on monday to use on tues. I think it starts around 5pm. They have alot of them there so I wouldn't worry about getting one.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blistering Sun?

I am dark skinned and my husband is fair. We go tanning to get a little base coat before we go and have never burned. We don't always have a palapa available and have been fine. He uses 30 spf for the first week. I use it on my face only.......

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blistering Sun?

If you're at the Radisson, then reserve a palapa the day before. I can not imagine being on the beach in Aruba without one - taking the chance is not worth getting sun poisoning! My husband and I get a light base before we go and get quite tanned during our trip. We ALWAYS use a palapa to take much needed breaks out of the hot sun.

Midwest
Level Contributor
842 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blistering Sun?

Albeit with liberal amounts of sunscreen over the exposed bits, we make do nicely with UV-protective rashguards (water shirts that resist uv rays). Very comfy as well. We bought ours from UVSkinz online for around US$30 per shirt.… wonderful investment & you can get them in either long or short sleeve. Of course this tends to take overall tanning pretty much out of the equation, but 4 days of sunburn on a weeks' trip being the other option… there you go. Just a thought, but it works well!

East Hampton...
Level Contributor
199 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blistering Sun?

Take a look at www.portabrella.com

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Blistering Sun?

Y'all are 13 degrees north of the Equator....One probably should not be surprised at a tad bit of sun, eh?

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blistering Sun?

IMO, with the Aruba tradewinds, I would not trust bringing your own umbrella.

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blistering Sun?

you might want to bring a hat, one that won't blow off in the wind. my first time in aruba i burnt the top of my head just walking on the beach.