We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Manor Questions

Cameron, NC
7 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam Manor Questions

After months of searching through these forums and reading everything I can about Aruba, we have decided to spend 7 nights / 8 days at the Amsterdam manor for our honeymoon. I have a few questions for those who know a little more about the place (I know this is your favorite place ArubaAmy). Our main question is the difference between the 'Standard Studio' and 'Superior Studio'. Is it safe to say that the only difference between the two rooms is the bathroom? I understand the Superior Studio has a jacuzzi and 2 sinks, and the Standard only has a shower (no tub)? Also, if I read the website correctly, the Superior Studio has ocean view, however these rooms are only on the ground level and from the reviews I have read, the ground level offers very little actual ocean view. In your opinion is the Superior Studio worth $130 extra (total cost, not per night). I am just worried that a balcony on the second or third floors of the standard studio would provide more privacy than a ground floor patio on the superior.

The other question I had is about the activities on Eagle Beach near the Amsterdam Manor. We are interested in parasailing, Kite Boarding, and renting a jeep for a day or two to explore the island. Are any of these things near the Amsterdam manor or would they require a trip to Palm Beach?

Thank you for your help,

Nate

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

Amy will be the person to best help you here. We will be arriving at Amsterdam Manor tomorrow!

After doing some research, reading reviews, and asking Amy, we decided to ask for Room C-11 - a Standard Studio on the 2nd floor which has a great ocean view. We have since learned that C-11 will not be available during our stay, so I'm hoping we get the room below it.

For only $130 total more, I would pay to have 2 sinks, the jacuzzi doesn't matter to me. As long as I see some blue water while having my coffee in the morning, I'm happy!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

Here's the scoop on the studios -

All of the superior studios are on the ground floor, in the front of the resort and face the water (private patio). Some will have ocean views and some may not - all depends on if there is a palm tree in your way, etc. They won't have the best view though because they're all ground floor. Some ground floor patios will be more private than others depending on the location. If you book a superior studio, request one that's on the north end of the resort - much less foot traffic on that end and a somewhat clearer view of the water.

Now, the standard studios......there are 2 different blocks of standard studios: One block of rooms is on the ground floor and has a courtyard/garden view with a small, somewhat private patio - these are referred to as the "B" rooms. The other block of rooms is located in a 3 story building with a partial ocean view (the ground floor will have private patios and the 2nd and 3rd floors will have balconies - and no elevator to the 2 levels, just stairs) - these are called the "C" rooms. You can request a "C" room but they can't guarantee it. So if you book a standard studio it's possible that you might get a "B" room with no view at all.

Yes, the bathrooms are different in the studios. Superior studios have a larger bathroom with a tub.

There is an activity tent located on the north end of Eagle Beach. There you can book almost any water activity - alot of times they will shuttle you (via a 5 minute speedboat ride) over to Palm Beach for things like parasailing.

They also have an activity desk in the main lobby and can help you book other things like a jeep for a day, etc.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 13:20
Cameron, NC
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

Thanks for the info ArubaAmy. Can you elaborate on the "private patios" of the Superior Studios? I saw a picture somewhere on TA that looked like a patio that was open with really nothing stopping people walking by from sitting in the chairs at the small patio table. Is this how the patios are? It there any divider or anything? The cost difference isn't the issue, we just can't decide if the bigger bathroom and ocean view is worth trading the privacy of a balcony.

Could anyone also give me any information on the Beach there at Amsterdam Manor? Would it be crowded late May to early June? Is it as nice as the beach at the Bucuti (Our second choice)? Also, I noticed in some pictures there were these buoys out in the ocean. Is this to keep swimmers from going outside the designated swim area or something? I have noticed those somewhat take away from the experience, it's like being trapped in a corral or something.

Thanks again for your help ArubaAmy, reading your posts helped us make our decision to go to Aruba as well as the Amsterdam Manor.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

The private patios of the superior studios are all recessed (think that's the right word) - meaning they go "in" and are covered. See the view from the photo at the link:

…seasmokehosting.com/uv_data/photo_gallery/A…

See how the ground floor rooms have a covered patio? All of the superior studios and one bedrooms are on the ground floor and have this type of covered patio. The one bedrooms have a slightly larger patio with a table and 4 chairs - and the superior studios have a table and 2 chairs for their patio.

I think the photo you saw on TA was of the standard studios - one of the B rooms which just has a simple door with a table and chairs outside - no covered patio.

Don't forget that if you book a standard studio it is not a guarantee that you will get a C room (one of the rooms with a balcony.) It's by request only.

Amsterdam Manor's beach is never crowded since it's a small resort and it's even less crowded during off season which runs mid to late April through mid Dec.

There are buoys in the water to keep you safe from boats and jet skis (tourists on jet skis aren't the best drivers - LOL!)

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

Aruba Amy

We like to have a sofa in our room or a pair of large comfortable chairs and it did not seem as if the studios had either of these so we are thinking we need a one bedroom apartment.

Are there any studios with sofa or two easy chairs?

Since I prefer not to climb more than one flight of stairs, would like an ocean view and a balcony, and will be there around second week in May in the off season, which room or rooms would be the nicest for us?

Will see you there your first 3 days and our last 3.

Marcy

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

Hi Marcy -

No, none of the studios will have a sofa or two easy chairs. You will need to book a one bedroom which has a living room if you want those. All of the one bedrooms face the front (water) and all are on the ground floor with a patio. Some will have a decent ocean view and some may not - all depends on the location of the unit and if there's anything blocking your view (palm trees, etc.)

The only rooms with a true ocean view and the living room would be the 2 bedroom/2 bath suites which are all located on the 2nd floor (one flight of steps.)

Hope this helps! See you in May! :)

East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

So, as a long time customer of Am. Manor, which building and type of place do you take? Any input as to which one bedroom location I should request...PLEASE

Marcy

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

We usually travel with another couple or a couple of friends so we always get a 2 bedroom/2 bath.

But on our upcoming trip in May, it's just the two of us so we have a one bedroom booked.

If you book a one bedroom, request a room at the north end (farthest away from the front desk). Your chances of a "view" will be better and it's a little quieter on that end (not as much foot traffic and away from the pool - although the pool area is usually pretty quiet, too, because most people go to the beach.)

Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

Amy,

We are curious. What section of the hotel would we find a two bedroom with a covered balcony consisting of enough space for two couples to enjoy the view? We also desire a quiet location (back from road?) on the inner courtyard/pool side- not facing out to the side of the resort.

Does such a room exist? Some of the photos show covered balconies with small openings that appear to limit views. Maybe the photos are deceiving.

.Thank you for your time!

Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam Manor Questions

Whoops, also prefer upper floor but not maditory.