We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best island for travel in January

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
662 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Best island for travel in January

My husband and I are looking to take a trip in January for our 25th wedding anniversary. I am trying to select an island that is still in the mid 80's and with ocean water that is still warm during that time. It MUST have white sandy beaches with beautiful clear turqoise carribean water.

I was thinking Aruba, but not sure. I like all inclusive hotels if possible, just becuase its easy, but if its a "safe" island then I don't mind staying at a place that isn't all inclusive.

We have travled to Cancun/Playa del Carmen several times and love it, but the water temp in January is below 80 degrees, call me a baby, but I like the water best at around 80 to 84 degrees.

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks. :-)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best island for travel in January

Aruba is the warmest place I have been to in January - certainly warmer than most of the rest of the Caribbean - no idea about the water temp-I only venture into the sea in July and August And its certainly safe

Provo (TCI ) certainly has more amazing beaches but its a bit cooler - air temperature only reaching 75-80 !-on a good day

Edited: 06 April 2011, 22:39
Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best island for travel in January

This is why we originally picked Aruba. Same as you we kept trying different places, but the weather was never a sure thing till Aruba. It's far enough South to guarantee warm weather for us in February.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best island for travel in January

Aruba has the warm air and water along with white, sandy beaches. It is very safe to explore in day or evening. For example,one evening, my wife and I were standing near the waterfront downtown. No one was near. I thought, "Could I imagine doing this in Philly? No way".

For your 25th, I suggest that you do not do AI. Too many great dining choices.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best island for travel in January

Pick any month---pick Aruba

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
662 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best island for travel in January

It is definately sounding like Aruba will be my pick. The one thing I do like about all inclusive is I don't have to leave the resort for dining. I am a beach bum and easily could lay around most days and do nothing but read and swim.

On the other hand, Aruba sounds like such a friendly place and we have never been there, that venturing out is definately a must.

For a great beach I am assuming I want to stay in Palm Beach? Any hotel suggestions?

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best island for travel in January

Read the Top Questions about Aruba section over to the right so that you can see the difference between Palm and Eagle Beach. You can also do a search of hotels to see their ratings, and take it from there. What do you like? Large? Boutique type? Quaint? There are many options.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best island for travel in January

If you are a true beach lover, you may wish to stay on Eagle Beach. Palm Beach is certainly very nice and close to many activities and restaurants, but you can't beat Eagle Beach for the beauty and space between people. The hotels on Eagle Beach are smaller, boutique types. Bucuti Beach Hotel, Manchebo Beach Hotel and Amsterdam Manor are the three most prominent choices for non AI options. Manchebo & AM offer AI, but definitely not a good idea, IMO.

8. Re: Best island for travel in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 01:16